I Forge Iron

18th Century Toaster? How did they do it?

iknowablacksmith

Linconl, Here is something may be of interest on ebay
Item number: 150046410240 ...
WROUGHT IRON TOASTER PLANS BLACKSMITH
It looked neat thought it might help
TIM

Thank you for this, it looks a lot like the one in question.

And sorry to all i haven't given you a timely update. I still haven't been able to reach my blacksmith friend. But soon, i hope. And then i'll report back.

Cheers to all!

- Lincoln -

LOL,
yeah Smiddy, good stuff too.

Dale, I'm only ever gonna be an honourary Aussie mate... just can't eat toast with a half inch thick layer on it like youse proper Aussies can, leastways not without the rest of my face suddenly trying to crawl inside my mouth after the toast. Kind of like chewing a whole lemon, your face suddenly gets a life of its own, and doesn't want anything to do with what the rest of you is up to:D

Update!

I reached the blacksmith last night, and described Mr. Smith's procedure. Just on the verbal description alone he thinks he could put one together. But i'm going to print out that drawing and give it to him today, along with the other comments and suggestions.

He already has all the materials set aside - all wrought iron, by the way - and will probably put the toaster together at his own shop. Where he *does* have a torch, which should make things easier. But i'm sure he could do it the traditional way, too: by heating the whole thing at once.

Thank you all again! I'll report back after i see the blacksmith today.

- Lincoln -

P.S. - Vegemite *is* an acquired taste.....but - even way up here in Canada - i did manage to acquire it. S'truth!

Lincoln : Let me try to splain simple. The curved round elements part that fits into the base is first fullered or necked down. Made a smaller diamention than it already is, probably round. The hole in the base is made this small size and the backside of the base, where the tenon (round thing necked down) fits through, is peined over cold. But first the hole on the backside is countersunk. The countersink if done today would be a hole punched or drilled through the base and the countersink part would be to drill a larger hole with a larger drill bit, but just till the cutting angle of the drill bit goes through the surface. This makes a countersink or a larger hole to pien the tenon over into and leave a relatively even surface

Sorry for the delay.

Thank you one and all for your help. I passed along the transcript from the forum plus the plans and pictures, and Mr. Connor was *very* impressed, and *very* grateful.

Now my next step is to try to convince him to get a computer and internet access.....because he would be a natural for this forum.

Thanks and cheers and a round of Vegemite to all brave enough to want it!

- Lincoln -