I Forge Iron

One's gotta go...

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which anvil would you KEEP

Yep - table was welded like that when I bought it. The good thing is that the rebound is great across the whole surface, so there's no damage as far as loss of hardness of the plate.

I am in the process or re-welding the table and dressing the horn. I'll post some pics when it's done.

I've had a blast working on these anvils and have learned a ton in the process. It's been a big distraction for me for getting anything else done for a while now, though. I have a bit of ADD. I'll get stuck on something and then go whole-hog on to the exclusion of everything else (unless something more interesting comes along). It all started with me fixing up an anvil with a half-gone faceplate for my dad and it all went downhill from there. I guess the upside is that I'm out of anvils to work on (with the exception of a small Columbian that needs re-hardened). Like I said, ADD - something grabs my fancy and I'm off to the races.

Anyway, I'm moving on to finishing my forge, making an anvil stand and mounting my post vise; probably in that order, but with me you never know. I'm working at my own pace and doing stuff that I enjoy. I'm not in a huge rush on any of this. I've got lots of ideas, lots of projects in flight. sometimes I walk out there intending to do one thing and end up doing everything but that.

I've been using firebrick to build little temporary forges or just using the torch in open air, but I've got a frame welded up and a tank cut open and a burner I made a long time ago. I'll be asking some questions about it in another thread - I need opinions on dimensions...

Have you given a thought to specializing in Anvil Repair? That's a beautiful job you did, and there are many of us who lack the skills to do such a job! Many of the older anvils out there could use some repairs, I know my 278 PW needs some work, but who to trust with "my baby"?

Thank you. I have to give the credit to my dad who passed on a lot of his skills to me, mainly in woodworking. Metal (to me, anyway) is just a harder version of wood but more fun to work with.

I have thought about it, and if someone were to ask me to dress their horn or fix up their table I would. I don't know many people around here and they don't know me, so unless word gets around, it's not going to happen. I'm a full-time dad (4 boys) and work full time, so I don't have the time to go to the local clubs. Sneaking out to the garage for a few hours here and there is about all I can manage right now. But yeah, that would be something I'd like to do.

Most repairs are pretty quick, one or two evenings, but others not so much... My first repair, the one I did for my dad, was pretty involved. http://www.iforgeiro...ost__p__172494. I don't know if I'd be willing to take one of those again unless it were for a good cause. It took somewhere around 30 hours to do, but I got the anvil for $20 and only spent about $50 in HF rod / 7018 rod & grinding wheels. It was a perfect opportunity for me to learn on that one since there wasn't a whole lot to lose if things went bad. It built up my confidence and after seeing the finished product and the joy it brought to my dad when I "unveiled it" as a gift to him, I was hooked.

Here's another one I did recently - a 153 lb Mousehole that had part of the table ground off. The "before" pics are where I was prepping for welding / removing rust.

So... I guess if there's anyone in Central Ohio who needs some touch-up work done and likes what they see, PM me.

"Will work for smithing equipment" ;)

Thanks to everyone who posted, voted and/or offered their opinions. I agree that the A&H is the more desirable of the two in terms of collector value & rarity, but I'm going to base my decision solely on their merits as tools. The Ajax will be the more versatile of the two and will better serve me in the long run, so right now I'm pretty much set on keeping it.

That said, what do you all think a fair asking price would be for the Arm & Hammer? My bathroom scale puts it at 309 lbs. I live in Anvil Alley, so I know it's not going to fetch as much here as it would elsewhere, but it's a bit rare to find an Arm & Hammer at that size even around here.

When I do get around to selling it (still struggling with letting it go) I'll try to do it here first on the tailgating section and donate a portion back to IFI if it sells.

I'm trying to avoid FeeBay. I'd much rather see a portion of the sale go to IFI than them. If it doesn't sell on here, then CL will probably be the next avenue.

I'm kicking around the idea of $500 - that would put it at just shy of 1.62 / lb. I think that would still be a good deal for someone who needs a shop anvil, and they shouldn't have any problems getting their money (and probably then some) back out of it when / if they decide to sell it.