I Forge Iron

One's gotta go...

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which anvil would you KEEP

I've been very fortunate to have found two really nice anvils over the past 8 months. I'd like to keep them both, but I need some cash. One's gotta go. sad.gif

One is a 309 lb Arm & Hammer and the other is a 300 lb Ajax. I'd like some opinions on which one to keep. Both have great rebound and are in good shape. I dressed the horn on the A&H and welded (NOT THE FACE) areas on the table and horn that were gouged and cleaned the rust off of it. I haven't done anything to the Ajax. I'm sure it will clean up just fine.

So, what are your opinions? Which would you keep? Add your comments or just click one of the vote buttons at the top.

Hey can you tell me what kind of car I need? I can't tell you if I need to haul a lot of stuff with it, or tow a large trailer, or commute 200 miles a day but I need you to tell me the right one to get!

Or to put it another way---what kind of work are you planning to do on the anvil you keep? The Ajax looks like it will be a louder anvil with the long slim profile and so perhaps not as good a choice for "steel under the hammer" factor; BUT if you do a lot of work where that long slim heel is a *good* thing then it's clearly the right choice to keep! (I have a 93# A&H anvil right next to my 515# Fisher just for it's thin heel for when I do things like toasting forks.)

There is really not that much difference between the two. You might try offering them both and sell the one that gets the highest offer and keep the other.

"Go not to the Elves for Counsel for they will say both Yea and Nay"

Or to put it another way---what kind of work are you planning to do on the anvil you keep? The Ajax looks like it will be a louder anvil with the long slim profile and so perhaps not as good a choice for "steel under the hammer" factor; BUT if you do a lot of work where that long slim heel is a *good* thing then it's clearly the right choice to keep! (I have a 93# A&H anvil right next to my 515# Fisher just for it's thin heel for when I do things like toasting forks.)

There is really not that much difference between the two. You might try offering them both and sell the one that gets the highest offer and keep the other.

Good point. Frankly, I'm not sure what kind of work I'll be doing. I'm so new at this, I really don't know what I need or where I'll be 5 years from now, what I'll be making, etc.

It sounds like the only drawback to the Ajax is the loudness (it does ring like a bell). Like Grant, though, I like the lines of the Ajax too - it has a longer horn and a longer face, thin heel for work like you've suggested. But the A&H sure is a sweet anvil...

I'm not complaining - I know It's a good problem to have... Just want to hear people's opinions.

Good point. Frankly, I'm not sure what kind of work I'll be doing. I'm so new at this, I really don't know what I need or where I'll be 5 years from now, what I'll be making, etc.

It sounds like the only drawback to the Ajax is the loudness (it does ring like a bell). Like Grant, though, I like the lines of the Ajax too - it has a longer horn and a longer face, thin heel for work like you've suggested. But the A&H sure is a sweet anvil...

I'm not complaining - I know It's a good problem to have... Just want to hear people's opinions.

Keep the Ajax,Sounds like it would be more versatile and adaptable to more kinds of work.
If the ring bothers you(or your neighbors)then just bed it properly to a stand or stump and if it still rings too much then wrap a couple turns of chain around the waist.

Just something else to think about based on what Thomas said earlier. The AJAX appears to be a Trenton. From what I've seen on ebay etc. I would guess the Arm and Hammer would get more money if you sold it. Arm and Hammers have a pretty stellar reputation and are seen less often than Trentons, so they tend to be worth more to collectors.

I'm not taking away anything from the AJAX as I love my Trenton anvils. It's just something I've noticed empirically. Your mileage may vary...

I like the idea of offering both for sale and letting the great karmanic forces of galactic destiny decide! Or do the Christian thing and cut them both in half! (wrong chapter?)

With all due respect to the karmanic forces of galactic destiny cool.gif, the pragmatic side of me is saying to keep the anvil that will be the most versatile of the two (the Ajax). The "tool hoarder" in me is saying hold on to what could be the more valuable of the two (the A&H). But I don't want to make a decision based solely on money...

Cutting them in two? You must be talking about the first recorded Maternity Test :) :
------------
The king said, “This one says, ‘My son is alive and your son is dead,’ while that one says, ‘No! Your son is dead and mine is alive.’”

The king said, “Bring me a sword.” So they brought a sword for the king. He then gave an order: “Cut the living child in two and give half to one and half to the other.” The woman whose son was alive was filled with compassion for her son and said to the king, “Please, my lord, give her the living baby! Don’t kill him!”

But the other said, “Neither I nor you shall have him. Cut him in two!" Then the king gave his ruling: “Give the living baby to the first woman. Do not kill him; she is his mother.”

When all Israel heard the verdict the king had given, they held the king in awe, because they saw that he had wisdom from God to administer justice

-- 1 Kings 3:23-28
------------

In general I have come to regret letting any smithing tool in good condition get away; though there are some I buy to pass on to students as I seem to be able to find them for a good price when they can't.

Seems to go like this "I have too many anvils/post vises/hammers/etc, I'm going to sell off some" wait a month "I am going to teach a class and need 5 complete set-ups to keep the students from running around each other waving hot iron; oops I sold off what I now need."

But some folks are but lightly touched with the tool disease; whilst others have it in acute form and like the dragons of old perch ontop their hoard not using it but not letting others use it either. I advise "all things in moderation!"

I went out and wire wheeled the Ajax, put a coat of MMO on it and took some pictures of both anvils with a straight edge on the face for comparison. The Ajax has a bit more dish than the Arm & Hammer, not that it matters too much. I read somewhere on here where Thomas Powers said that the dish can be used to straighten knives - striking the blade over the dish causes it to bend and then bounce back straight, something to that effect.

I think I'm going to do as Thomas Dean suggested and set them both up and try them out for a while.

I'm also going to repair the table on the Ajax and dress the horn. That will give me an excuse to hang on to both for a while longer while I try to figure out what I'm going to do... We need the money, but man - this is harder than breaking up with a girlfriend (I'm speaking of my pre-marriage days, of course :)).

I'm also going to talk to the boss again about the fact that anvils are an investment and that they appreciate in value over time cool.gif

I appreciate all the feedback. It's been very helpful.