I Forge Iron

Sweeney & Blocksidge fly press

AndrewOC

Nother lot of detail pics.
Below is a rarer view of the business end of the screw.

post-8233-0-04219100-1307350892_thumb.jp

Hopefully this shows the 4 start thread clearly. Otherwise the next shot might do better, I've gone down one thread for one turn with a paint pen.

post-8233-0-57074300-1307354605_thumb.jp

The next shot shows something that is a mystery to me, a slot in the back of the dovetail head. Maybe to hold a quick release collar for tooling??

post-8233-0-36370300-1307354549_thumb.jp

Now something i hope is cleva! When in pieces the moving parts were weighed, result; 50 lbs. This will be my starting point counter weight to emulate Grant's Greatest Fly-press mod.
Next step, a very stable stand. Thinking (at the moment) of;
a) heavy beam tripod OR
B) 3/8" plate 'pyramid' (two sided).
What have others found?

enjoy!
AndrewOC

Definitely my pleasure Matt. The strip down wasn't too difficult, just the usual care on the threaded parts. The split nut is a bit rough- one half is cracked and has a few threads stripped off the bottom.

I would thoroughly recommend cleaning down the main screw. After scubbing it inside and out with solvent, i put it in the press frame ... lo and behold the thing plunged down all by its own weight!

Didn't you get a press recently Matt? Pics??
;)
A.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Androo
We have forged up 5 K1020 balls at about 135mm dia for you yesterday, I'll take them down to Moonies with me, (I assume you are going to it this year) I also got Jay to Vid me making one of them, so I suppose I'll have to Utube it hey. If you come to the Moons and you remember bring some of that stuff you had in the back of your car at Thirlmere. Ta

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/29/2017 at 11:46 AM, FlyingXS said:

So what tooling have you made for it Andrew?

Ha Haa ha. 

C'mon it was only seven years ago, give a guy some slack...

[ actually for the last 3 yrs, it now lives at a friends place and I have 3 other different ones to deal with !] 

Picture is just to replace missing originals and be a S & B reference.  

;)

Andrew O'C