I Forge Iron

"Heads-up" threads

I think that the recent occurance of posts alerting forum members to blacksmithing items on Craigslist or Ebay are extremely helpful, particularly to those who are looking for equipment. I apprecite the work the "bird-dogs" are putting into this.

This probably sounds lazy, but sometimes my forum browsing time is limited to my lunch break, but I think it would be great if, when we find something for sale, that we might include the location in the thread title.

Something like this:

Anvil Craigslist E. TN

or

Post Vise Ebay N. CA

... something like that.

Anyway, thank again to all of the web shoppers for sharing their discoveries.

Don

Subsumed Curmudgeon?! I never heard of that word before, so I looked it up. Thanks for adding to my vocabulary.
Speaking for myself: I find the "heads up" messages to be of great interest. Being fairly new to the craft, I thirst after all
information about blacksmithing. One thread of "heads up" postings would get my vote and I can see where an indication as to locality would be handy too. :)

My goodness Thomas! I must discommend the use of haughty verbiage around . . . BLACKSMITHS! I mean REALLY just what good does having, "subsumed" in your vocabulary do when you mach your finger or drop something hot in your sock?

Now I've actually applied what brain I have left to this thread I'm lead to suggest more accurate subjects. For instance the subject, "Heads up," leads me to think it's a warning of some physical or mechanical danger or perhaps a scam. Passing hazard or scam warnings on is a good thing, VERY GOOD.

Discovering a subject like "Heads UP," is actually a I like this, thanks. type message only serves to dilute the subject possibly leading folk to ignore important hazard warnings.

Immuring folk to real warnings is one reason emergency vehicles don't run with lights and sirens all the time, doing so will only train the public to ignore lights and sirens. This is a bad thing.

Frosty the Lucky.

For any antique tractor collectors.

There is a 1920's(?) McCormick-Deering tractor (predecessor to Intenational Harvester?) sitting in the Karten Metals scrapyard, located in Trenton Ontario, Canada.

The tractor is by my estimate 75% or greater complete; missing left engine cowling panel (top and right intact), gas tank has rust out along bottom edges, seat missing. The engine appears to be nearly complete (no idea about the carb'.) Grousers are still on rear wheels.

The scrapyard is Karten Metals, at 23 Subway Rd. Trenton Ontario, Canada. Phone 613-392-8202.

The tractor is currently segragated from the regular scrap, but if no one shows interest it'll probably go the smelter soon.

If pictures are needed, I can try to take some in the next few days (just let me know about file size.) Contact me through my hotmail account.

Hopefully someone is interested in this info, to me this machine has a high potential as a restoration project or use as a parts donor.

Don Shears
Trenton Ont

dgshears@hotmail.com

Just as a note, I have no commercial interst in the scrapyard, I just go there regularly looking for material for (hobby) blacksmithing.

Mach my finger? My fingers have never been up to the speed of sound!

and yeah I was one of those weird engineering students who had much higher english scores than math on the SAT (770 vs 563 IIRC)

You expect correct spelling or less than fumble fingered keying from me?:unsure:

Well, a comical myskey wouldn't be out of character for me though I usually do read and edit before hitting send.

I never had grades good enough to consider an engineering career, especially math. I did however read voraciously and had a near photographic memory for the written word so I had a vocabulary better than most of my english teachers and I wasn't smart enough to NOT rub their noses in it. Mother used to tell me I was the smartest idiot she'd ever known.

Frosty the Lucky.

Yeah I know how that song goes---I got moved from a school for gifted kids near Washington DC to a semi rural school in Indiana. I quickly learned that teachers don't like to be corrected when they make even simple factual mistakes...It was "spooky" living out there in the late 1960's when they considered the John Birch Society to have dangerous communist leanings!