I Forge Iron

New addition to the Fisher Museum

I went up to Newport Maine a few days ago to pick up a 263 lb Fisher sawmakers that I had bought. Curious feature, it is the only Fisher style sawmakers with the Fisher mounting lugs. The anvil is dated 1936. It also has a casting defect on the body. Curious that they sold it instead of melting it down.

When I got home, I also found that I have the pattern that made the anvil. I will post those photos later.

post-10347-039775800 1279479314_thumb.jp

Newport? You were almost to my neck of the woods. There is also a neat place in Liberty Maine called Liberty Tool Works, they have thousands of old tools and such for sale. That almost looks like a big flake came off the side from a mis-strike, but the pic was pretty big so I couldn't see the whole thing in context. Are you eventually going to perhaps have some anvils re-cast? I would be interested in how you would gate something that big.

The missing chunk is definately a casting defect. It looks like an air bubble or such prevented a complete fill of the iron. It did not affect the top or the integrity of the anvil, so it was marketed.

I plan on making swage blocks from the Fisher patterns first. We'll see how that goes then deal with anvils.

While in Newport, Maine, I contacted the local historical people and did research on Fisher foundry. Newport is where Fisher first made anvils, from 1843 to 1851. I photographed the possible location of the foundry and copied some historical documents they had in the library. Nice people in Newport.

I figured out how to post photos, but not how to make them smaller to fit. Help anyone....

The missing chunk is definately a casting defect. It looks like an air bubble or such prevented a complete fill of the iron. It did not affect the top or the integrity of the anvil, so it was marketed.

I plan on making swage blocks from the Fisher patterns first. We'll see how that goes then deal with anvils.

While in Newport, Maine, I contacted the local historical people and did research on Fisher foundry. Newport is where Fisher first made anvils, from 1843 to 1851. I photographed the possible location of the foundry and copied some historical documents they had in the library. Nice people in Newport.

I figured out how to post photos, but not how to make them smaller to fit. Help anyone....

In order to make them smaller, you'll need some kind of photo-editing software. I use a program called "XN View." It's free, and can resize, rotate, and do other things. You can find the download at:

XNView Download

The only issue I've had is that the newer version has a lot more features, and if you just want to resize, it can be tough to find the right menu the first time. If you want, send me a PM, and I'll try to track down an older version on a different computer.