I Forge Iron

Waste Oil Forge Burner

These are some pictures of my waste oil burning forge burner. Along with a couple of pictures of the forge. The bent tube entering the rear of the 1 1/2" pipe tee, is the waste oil inlet. Propane preheat enter through the brass elbow on the side of the tee fitting. The blower will be hooked to the barbed 1 1/2" fitting. I'll get more pictures when I fire it up.

Larry

post-1337-035050200 1279369749_thumb.jpg post-1337-080533100 1279369776_thumb.jpg post-1337-021331800 1279369727_thumb.jpgpost-1337-021722700 1279370825_thumb.jpg post-1337-023957000 1279370436_thumb.jpg post-1337-087836500 1279370478_thumb.jpgpost-1337-077878400 1279370526_thumb.jpgpost-1337-015636900 1279370786_thumb.jpg

post-1337-075734700 1279370566_thumb.jpg

post-1337-003815500 1279370604_thumb.jpg

post-1337-040452200 1279370637_thumb.jpg

2-- ? * are you filtering you're wast oil for a cleaner fuel if so how ?
* and are you using a elec pump to sup oil to forge or gravity tank set up ?
OK 3 ? lol when forge is up to temp do you turn propane off and run on just wast oil ?

in the shop I have a wast oil wood stove gravity feed onto a chunk of wood with air blown into fire, its primitive but dose get stove red hot & cut are use of wood down considerable
and once to temp no smoke out of stack, would like to make 100% oil one day have lots of wast oil and like a warm shop in the winter :)

yes when its running post a pic COOL

These are some pictures of my waste oil burning forge burner. Along with a couple of pictures of the forge. The bent tube entering the rear of the 1 1/2" pipe tee, is the waste oil inlet. Propane preheat enter through the brass elbow on the side of the tee fitting. The blower will be hooked to the barbed 1 1/2" fitting. I'll get more pictures when I fire it up.

Larry

It's a Moya burner! Very similar to the one I made. You'll get plenty of heat out of that. Might have a little trouble tuning it. At least I did. If it floods when the forge is at temp, it'll look like a plane crash. Guess how I know. lol!

2-- ? * are you filtering you're wast oil for a cleaner fuel if so how ?
* and are you using a elec pump to sup oil to forge or gravity tank set up ?
OK 3 ? lol when forge is up to temp do you turn propane off and run on just wast oil ?

in the shop I have a wast oil wood stove gravity feed onto a chunk of wood with air blown into fire, its primitive but dose get stove red hot & cut are use of wood down considerable
and once to temp no smoke out of stack, would like to make 100% oil one day have lots of wast oil and like a warm shop in the winter :)

yes when its running post a pic COOL

It's a Moya burner! Very similar to the one I made. You'll get plenty of heat out of that. Might have a little trouble tuning it. At least I did. If it floods when the forge is at temp, it'll look like a plane crash. Guess how I know. lol!

IronWolf,

Yes I do plan to filter my oil the filter I use is designed for diesel fuel, or gasoline filter. This filter unit acts as a water separator to. It will not have a paper filter element, just a fine screen. To answer your question yes once the interior is red hot, and the oil has been adjusted, shut off the propane. I usually turn the propane back on, oil off, for shut down, to help burn the remaining oil out of the forge. The oil feed will be gravity fed to the burner. There are quite few waste oil designs for shop heaters on the internet. Some I like some I don't.

Matt,

You are right this burner is designed after the Moya burner. I have one similar to it that use in my foundry furnace. It uses propane preheat as well. Thanks for the replies I will get more photo as I get it up and running.

Larry

Simple is good, looks more or less like mine. The biggest part of the learning curve is the transition between propane and oil. Ironwolf, I just use gravity feed with mine and it works fine. The only screening I do is with a piece of window screen to get out big chunks, other than that they don't clog like nozzle burners.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, looks like mine too. Based upon my small handful of experiments, it is a very good design. Will you be using motor or veggie oil?

Good luck, cant wait to see that burner going.

Cheers!

P.S- Matt, thanks for the tip about the light. I will try it in the shade next time. ;)

I have played with waste oil for heat and MUST caution you to make provisions for a flame out. AND make provisions for an re-ignition of the flame at the very worst time, like when you have a high percentage of combustible vapors in the device. Both happen during the testing phase, outside on a work table. If the unit was tight it would have turned out very differently, but it was loose enough that 4 feet of flame shot out every orifice and hole in the system with a large WHOOMP but no boom.

Version number two has been redesigned and is much heavier with an explosion proof door. Once up to temperature there is no smoke and it puts out a considerable amount of heat. I did find that the combustion chamber of my design was too small for the area I wanted to heat, so version 3 is in progress.

Glenn, Here is a video of my melting furnace. I have been using waste oil quite some time now this is my third furnace. It has a 10" bore which is about 12" in height. My crucible is 6" X 9" well casing pipe. This furnace will melt twenty pounds of aluminum in twenty minutes from a cold start. The flame out is caused by not enough preheat, and to much air. Another thing when you start to add oil, do it very gradually, or you will flood to furnace. A needle type valve is a must because you need have fine adjustment on the oil. You can preheat with wood, or charcoal but the ash blowing out afterward is messy. I prefer to use propane for the preheat, because it is quicker, and a lot hotter. I only hope the forge dose as well.

Melting Furnace

Hope this helps
Larry

• 1 month later...

PaMike, I don't think pulling the tube back would help much, might even hurt. This style burner doesn't rely on atomization to burn, the oil flashes into vapor in the hot interior of the furnace, this is why a good preheat is neccesary. It might actually be a bit detrimental, coke might build up in the air tube and block airflow.