I Forge Iron

Blacksmiths in Las Vegas NV

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am finally starting to get some things together to begin learning to blacksmith. I still don’t have anything set up and still have to find an anvil. I thought I would get on here and see if anyone would be able to give me some guidance to get going. I live in the southern part of Vegas, but I have no problem driving anywhere in the valley area.

• 1 month later...

Though many people are committing a felony getting them. The RR Police here in the USA have very strong powers!

I have a friend that makes gardening trowels from RR spikes---he buys new ones by the keg to have a standardized supply and no issue with the legal system.

On 1/11/2018 at 12:24 PM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Finding scrap is not a problem at all. What you want to look for first will be some smaller square or round stock in the 3/8"-1/2" range, and long enough not to need tongs to hold onto it. For hammer accuracy practice , rebar can do, but it is not the greatest. 

If there's a construction site near you where they're doing steel work, talk with the contractor about hauling off their metal scrap. I got a fair amount of structural steel scraps this way last year, as well as a LOT of heavy galvanized structural steel that went straight to the scrapyard and got me enough cash to stock up on coal and PPE consumables.

There is a yard in St George Utah that was selling coal for $130 a ton. I haven't tried any from them yet, but I should get some to try out since I an literally at the bottom of the barrel at home.

Lots of auto shops are trashing their scrap due to low prices. 

I just grabbed some last night from work - my supervisor was cleaning up and he tossed a lot of goodies. Getting more tonight.

• 3 weeks later...