I Forge Iron

Number of hammer blows in a job

I recently finished up a job for another shop-500 snub end scrolls in 1/4x1/2-the button on the end had to be no less than 3/8 round, preferably closer to 1/2" round, and 250 snub end scrolls in 5/8 square. I was doing the snub ends by hand and as my mind was wandering as it does doing something repetitious I started figuring out how many hammer blows in that part of the job. I had them at 3 heats each, 10 blows each heat times 750 pieces. If my math is on that works out to 21,500 hammer blows for that part of the job. The tapers I do on the air hammer. Good thing I switched to my 1.5 pound hammer. There was also another 300 or so scrolls, but those were just tapered and I did them under the air hammer. No wonder why my hands hurt at the end of the day. The whole job was 215 hours-done in 19 days straight-too many hours in a short time, but it was a rush job and I wasn't about to turn down work. The only thing that bugged me was I brought the first load a week into the job, and when I dropped off the last load the first load was right where I left it. So much for a big rush. I'll post some pictures when I get back home.
Have a happy 4th of July,
Mark Emig

How's that old cliche' go? - - Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine . . .

It's one of the big reasons I stopped doing custom work except for a few very select clients.

All that aside, way to step up and get it done Mike!

I've pounded a few out myself, thats what really put me over the hand hammering. It is the under-hook blow you have to use to shape the penny that really screws you arm up. 5 shots of cortisone later, two in the elbow, 2 in the wrist and one in the shoulder. Be carful and try and break it up, they can obviously wait your arm cant.

Actually, I hate to admit it, but I like these kinds of jobs. I got really good and quite efficient at making snub ends on this one. This kind of sub work is really nice. The shop I do this for sends me a full size drawing with quantities needed,the level of work required by the client and budget,doesn't ask for bids (we've worked together for a few years now-I'm really good at production stuff-I charge him a honest price for hours worked and don't get greedy), and they pay a fair,honest price for the work I do. The other nice thing is he tells me what size area the piece needs to fit in, I make them fit very well, and I don't have to weld and assemble the rail,gate, or fit it in the site. I just get to do the part I like the most-forge lots of steel! Once I get home from the holiday I'll post various pics of stuff I do for them.
Take care,
Mark Emig