I Forge Iron

Life Goes On...........

Have any of you guys looked into a raw food diet? It seems to be able to cure type 2 diabetes in some people. I don't have diabetes but try to eat healthy and avoid junk food as much as possible. The michael pollan books is are good.
Stay healthy, stay hammering.
Rob

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a little lighter note. This from my guild myster. Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a great looking body but to slide in sideways totaly worn out shouting holy ___ what a ride. Not being a smart ass just saying do what ya can not always what ya should.Been inna work force/military for 50 yrs 25 yrs ago the bone doctor
Said " I hope you have a good sit down office job" I said nope been welding and iron working all my life guess I'll
have to die doing it. I still have my shop and am running 2 others. One of my great men summed it up in his book.
Ride hard and shoot streight. Ya can't get any better than that. gdnite all.
Ken.

An acquaintance of mine went "raw" and she has lost over forty pounds, of course that helps with type 2 diabetes, has helped her overall body function, lower cholesterol, triglycerides, so there is something to it. More fruits, veggies, nuts and less red, fatty meat has sure helped me so far but my back is still killing me day and night. I have lost some weight but still have an awful long was to go, blood sugar is near normal and that's good but no relief from pain. And no I ain't taking the blasted morphine!!! :angry: It'll rot the brain right out of your head, then what do you have left? <_<

You are absolutely right to stay away from the morphine.It will steal your brain for sure,I know this from experience.
Pain is just how your body communicates that something is wrong.I don`t know why medical science has convinced us all that it`s something to be avoided at all costs.Pain killers don`t stop or repair the damage,they only mask the pain and sever that line of communication between your body and your brain.
When they shot me up with steriods the pain stopped so I went back to work.The same root problems were there and unfixed so I kept doing even more damage till parts of my body stopped working.Still no pain,just swelling and loss of feeling,range of motion,etc.
More meds later I was still bulling along till tendons started giving up because they had been torn and worn so badly they failed.Permanent damage,no repair,salvage only.
Surgery after surgery and BIG PAIN after all the damaged stuff was removed and bone was ground back.
4 years down the road I decided that I had given up my arm and hand but I refused to let them have my mind too.All the heavy duty narcotics went in the trash and I went cold turkey.Worst 2 weeks of my life.
I have my mind back now and I also have pain but it`s something I have learned to partner with and listen to.I now know how much I can realistically do in a day and I know when to stop or pay the price for the next 2 days.I re-learned how to do things like lift,run and hold things.The pain is worth the price of being able to think.

Anybody who is interested in how to deal with pain without narcotics and using only herbal and natural controls as well as mental control approaches feel free to PM me.I will be more than happy to share anything I know.

Some would argue that I never had much of a mind to begin with, all the more reason to avoid most of the pain relievers that the medical establishment peddles. I have found a goodly amount of relief from Celebrex for the inflammation surrounding the vertebrae and for the nerve damage I take Neuronton and Topomax. These last two have sure cut down on the burning and tingling that run down my arms and legs from the damage to the nerves where they come off of the spinal cord. I'm very pleased with the Neuronton for helping with the migraines too, better than any narcotic pain medication I ever took. The rest you just tolerate and suffer through. A passive and detached attitude, and prayer. B)

You are absolutely right to stay away from the morphine.It will steal your brain for sure,I know this from experience.
Pain is just how your body communicates that something is wrong.I don`t know why medical science has convinced us all that it`s something to be avoided at all costs.Pain killers don`t stop or repair the damage,they only mask the pain and sever that line of communication between your body and your brain.
When they shot me up with steriods the pain stopped so I went back to work.The same root problems were there and unfixed so I kept doing even more damage till parts of my body stopped working.Still no pain,just swelling and loss of feeling,range of motion,etc.
More meds later I was still bulling along till tendons started giving up because they had been torn and worn so badly they failed.Permanent damage,no repair,salvage only.
Surgery after surgery and BIG PAIN after all the damaged stuff was removed and bone was ground back.
4 years down the road I decided that I had given up my arm and hand but I refused to let them have my mind too.All the heavy duty narcotics went in the trash and I went cold turkey.Worst 2 weeks of my life.
I have my mind back now and I also have pain but it`s something I have learned to partner with and listen to.I now know how much I can realistically do in a day and I know when to stop or pay the price for the next 2 days.I re-learned how to do things like lift,run and hold things.The pain is worth the price of being able to think.

Anybody who is interested in how to deal with pain without narcotics and using only herbal and natural controls as well as mental control approaches feel free to PM me.I will be more than happy to share anything I know.

Guys listen to Bob. Been there done that with my dad. Got a red cross leave to wisit after the 3rd surery. First thing I noticed was he kept watchimg the clock(waiting the next shot)When the nurse arrived he told her " my son will kill you if you stick me" Didn't come to that. Got the DR in and he agreed to no more drugs. Told me he couldn't live with out them. Came to my wedding(drove 1200 miles) and plsyed golf 15yrs later. Pain is good it tells ya yoe are still alive. And what ya should stop doing

Yoga has surely helped me a lot---controlled slow stretching of pretty much everything! Of course if you get into a "death March Yoga" class it can hurt you too.
I have a great instructor that is used to working with a lot of older folk with various issues and nobody in the class is trying to compete of show off---we all have positions we can't do and others we're ok with.

• 2 months later...

Last night at weigh in at Weight Watcher I have reach my 10% weight loss goal. Imagine that! I have lost 10% of my body weight, thirty-five pounds, that's 35 pounds. I never thought it possible. Of course I could still eat just about anything that was not locked away but I have lost the weight :P and my blood sugar is near normal now. I do miss my food though. :(

Good for you bentiron! Keep up the good work!
With all the xxxx that has gone down in my life this last year I find myself eating more "comfort" food (comfort = junk food) than I'm used to... I'm beginning to feel it... Can junk food lead to depression :unsure:

I feel so much better, well except for my back, not eating my cookies and milk, blue corn tortilla chips and mango salsa, mustard corn chips, Frito corn chips, BBQ corn chips, Oreo cookies, but I do so miss eating them. They were all one of the best pain meds for my back but never totally took the pain away, just made me feel good for a little while. At least they weren't addictive, like heck they weren't! Now I just don't eat much of anything but raw fruit and veggies and some lean protein. If you got a lot of weight to loose I highly recommend Weight Watchers. One fellow there has lost over a hundred and still weighs more than I ever did. He has lost a steady 1.5 pounds a week since he started and that is very good. Teaches right eating habits not like some of the other programs advertised on TV that promise to take off 30 pounds in 30 days, Weight Watchers teaches you where the problems are and how to overcome them. I didn't get fat eating apples and carrots but eating other things. Our food bill has gone down, you'd think the opposite when you see the cost of fresh fruit but all that packaged junk food is where the real expense is. Packaged dinners, packaged snacks, junk food, are all so expensive when you compare the price per ounce. A five pound package of carrots last me five days and there isn't much waste since I just wash them now without peeling, just a good scrubbing and eat. I still miss my chips when watching football though.

• 4 weeks later...

Bentiron,
Came back late to see how things were going for you. Glad to see that you're moving forward and getting a handle on the weight thing. All natural food is good for us, but in moderation as you have learned. Many of us have learned late in life that it's about the journy. So, discovering more about how we can handle our faults and frailties is a God Send for sure. Your willingness to share and to express your faith is a support for many of us here too.

I have to lose 100#. Like you said it doesn't represent having too many apples :lol:

I hope that you continue to improve and somehow the pain you are in becomes more and more managable. God loves you!

Tim McCoy

• 2 weeks later...

Monday night was the first Weight Watcher's meeting of the new year and I was down another pound and half which put me under 300 pounds for the first time in fifteen years. I'm down four inches around my waist too! Sad to say my back is still killing me, another fifty-six pounds and I will fit in the MRI machine so they can get a really good look at what the problem is with my back. My blood chemistry is doing real good, diabetes is in good control so this is a good diet after all. For New Years Eve my wife got me a small bag of corn chips for a treat and they were so salty I couldn't eat them and to think I would eat the largest bag at one sitting last July. I fed them to the dogs and got up a had some carrots and broccoli instead. My eating style has certainly changed. :blink:

Funny part about it is once you change your eating habits and then try to go back to your old ways your body will let you know just how bad that stuff is.If I tried to eat a Big Mac now and wash it down with a Coke I`d be feeling bad in less than 15 minutes.
Glad to hear things are going well for you.I think you`ll find nothing but improvement in your health and general well being as long as you continue to eat healthy foods and lose weight.
Happy New Year brother!

Way to go BentIron! I should use you as a example for me to lose some weight also. I know what you and Mainely,Bob means by feeling bad after eating something after you have change your habits. I thought I would have a treat one night during the holidays and have a hot buttered rum with some friends and after he first one in about 15 min. I felt bad. Good Luck to you and keep up the good work.

I love pie, almost any kind except rhubarb that is. We went to some friends and she makes the best pies and I had a piece of her apple crumb pie with real whipped cream. It was so good going down but within an hour I was so sick! What a disappointment that was. I guess that sweet stuff is a real killer after all. Kind of wish I had a raw apple and a bowl of carrots instead, I'd a had a better time than sitting there feeling ill. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cancer in right kidney was my wake-up call. caused a total change of lifestyle, and atttitudes, Before operation nothing hurt and ALL things were on menu. Here in cajun country all things means ALL things, fried, hot, salty, and tasty. Just no good for you. Now after operation (august 2010) I have plenty of pain to offer up to our Lord, and eat the healthy stuff willingly, and have lost 13 lbs. and look foreward to getting back to the forge after all healed up and pain free. Bentiron i feel for you bro. P.S. it is my opinion 30 years of TIG welding in those plants caused my cancer, cadmium poisoning.But who do you sue?

My welding teacher in college told us this on the first day of class. If you do this for a living I can promiss you 3 things. First is you will never get rich but you will make a good living. Second you will never be without a job, and third is if you do it long enough it will kill you.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember reading a list of your chances of dying from doing various things in life and it had all of these odds but the one that was true of everyone no matter what was the chance of dying, 1 in 1 for everyone. I get to thinking about my doctor being on my case all the time, yeah, I want to have a longer life but I am going to die no matter what is done for me medically. I do feel better since I have changed my diet, but my pain level has not gone down, my jaws as still clenched in pain, my ankles don't hurt as bad, my feet don't hurt as bad, but I still can't stand at an anvil and forge iron, I can't pour bronze, but I can make some jewelry. Sometimes it seems if most all of the joy of life is gone, what is the point of just suffering for the joy of suffering. I know folk who will put their mother or father through Hell to have them live one more day when there is no long term out look for any more life other than another day of Hellish pain. And for what? Another day of Hellish pain. My own father asked me before he totally lost it not to make him suffer through that with his cancer, I didn't let the doctors talk my family into that kind of crap, I told them we were a God fearing family and had the hope of the life after death and the resurrection in Christ. The doctors acted accordingly and gave him the best care to bring his life to a dignified conclusion. The same with my mother at her death. I hope for the same with my death. I have a one in one chance of dying just like all of us and I want to do all that my body is capable of doing until it can't anymore and then I want to die with peace and dignity without a whole bunch of tubes and needles stuck in me. If loosing this one hundred pounds will accomplish that, then that's is my goal, not to make me live longer. God has numbered our days, He knows the number of hairs on my head and the teeth in my mouth and He will walk with me till the end, Praise His Name! :D

• 2 months later...

For the last three weeks I have been stalled out on weight loss, nada, nothing, zip, very frustrating not to have lost anything and one week to have actually gone up 1.4#. I have been tracking what I eat and I am on program. I sure wish I could get out and do some walking but I get to hurting so bad after a block of so that I need help getting home. Oh well! :blink: