I Forge Iron

Finally... A "real" anvil!

I have no plans to giveup my homemade anvil, but at 250 pounds it is getting a little cumbersome to take to demos. After much searching and fruitless bidding I finally located this Hay-Budden farriers anvil. It is 160 pounds (a veritable featherweight) and interesting in that it has an unusually large horn and long heel. I've never been one to stand on ceremony, but it's also nice to have a more traditional looking anvil for demos. Now to build a stand!

It seems only right for this pic to be a sepia tone.

post-6932-042434900 1276226877_thumb.jpg

This looks identical to my anvil which is also about 160LB. I don't hold it they way you are too often! Nice anvil but the heal rings like the dickens.

You ain't kiddin'. The horn rings a bit too much too, but not like that heel. I'm going to try and put a section of heavy rubber mat under it on the stand but I'm not optimistic. I guess I'll just keep aiming for center mass as often as possible.

Make some brackets holding the feet down, and design them so you can tighten them up as needed. It is surprising how much ring that will take away. The rubber mat is still a good idea.
Phil

Thanks for the advice Phil. Demos are the biggest draw I have for craft fairs and I'd hate to chase people away with that ring. I'll give it a try.

That shape seems fairly common to the farrier anvils. Not ideal for most standard smithing purposes but most of the time you'll only use a small section of the anvil and if you choose the section over the main body it will perform pretty nearly as well as a standard shaped anvil anyway. Put on some good shooter's ear muffs and RING IT till you get a little crowd. Then you can take the muffs off and work on the quieter portions of the anvil while they watch. The shape IS SEXY looking!!!