I Forge Iron

Projects & advice for a new guy

Good control of tongs is a vital part of smithing. Vice grips are not tongs; it would be safer and easier to hold the work in your teeth than to use these vile contraptions.

From the replies to my other rant(), it seems that few people use these things (I can't bring myself to refer to them as 'tools') for their intended purpose, they just 'do' for a variety of other tasks when the proper equipment isn't to hand.
I shall not rest until every last pair has been recycled into something useful!

Don't equivocate Sam, tell us how you really feel. Will ya?:rolleyes:

Vise grips have their uses and as you've so astutely observed they can't do everything. No wonder I can't seem to control the olive in my martini with visegrips!:angry: I'm shocked to find I agree with you, teeth are more suitable! Shocked, SHOCKED I say!:o

All I can think of right now is how happy I am I have an anvil, hammers and a really HOT fire so I can make squeezers suited to any purpose. I just CAN'T wait to be the first one in my neighborhood to have custom olive tongs! I'll be sure YOU get any credit due.

Frosty the Lucky.

Don't equivocate Sam, tell us how you really feel. Will ya?:rolleyes:

Vise grips have their uses and as you've so astutely observed they can't do everything. No wonder I can't seem to control the olive in my martini with visegrips!:angry: I'm shocked to find I agree with you, teeth are more suitable! Shocked, SHOCKED I say!:o

All I can think of right now is how happy I am I have an anvil, hammers and a really HOT fire so I can make squeezers suited to any purpose. I just CAN'T wait to be the first one in my neighborhood to have custom olive tongs! I'll be sure YOU get any credit due.

Frosty the Lucky.

Come on Jerry. You'll poke youur eye out wit those martuney tongs, Stick to bourbon stay outta the trees and hug the better half. Glad to have ya back.
Ken.

Darn, you've caught me out Ken, even the lowliest heathen wouldn't put an olive in a single malt scotch so I'm safe on that count anyway.

Of course if Doug wants a picture of olive tongs I'll just have to cooperate. It'll take two pair though, one to pit them and the other to arrange them in the glass.

Geeze this is way more complicateder than I thought at first.

Frosty the Lucky.