I Forge Iron

Trammel and J hook

I haven't posted for a little bit. Been kinda busy. But I have been forging :) . I made a trammel and a J hook. I got an order for four J hooks. I've made them before, but not with an arrowhead finial before. So I started with some 3/8th mild got the arrow head portion upset somewhat to make it larger and then isolated what I wanted to make the arrowhead part with.. It didn't work out so good... I broke one off hammering it too cold. Knew better too.. but it will make a nice leaf someday. And the other one .. eh..just not thrilled with it...There are some parts of it I like.. the twist came out nice I think, and the hook and finial scroll for that looks nice too.. I did a flat taper then rolled it.

On the trammel, I did what seemed an easy way to do it. did a flat taper on one side and made the hook out of that for the hanger with a scroll and punched the hole for the angle. Then the other holes. Made the hook that you hang the pot off of and figured out pretty quick I had the angle for the part that goes through the holes to long. Got that fixed and I'm quite happy with it. First one I made and I like it.

Enjoy.

post-9027-056809300 1275977220_thumb.jpg

post-9027-090233300 1275977238_thumb.jpg

now i see what you wanted to do. came out really nice!

yesterday i could not really imagine what you meant with the arrowhead on the top end. but what you did really looks like kind of ancient obsidian point.
my mom told me i should make some hooks for her purses, she would love them! especially because they hang next to my bows and arrows:D

david

ps: uhmm first post i think, perhaps i should introduce me:-P

Thats 1\4" by 3/4" by 13" long to start. I bent the bottom about one inch up and the hook is about 6" drawn out give or take. I was going to use 3/16" holes but ended up using 1/4" instead and I spaced them every 2 inches. It was a little easier seeing how the holding hook is made out of 3/16" rod. I could have made it work forging out the rod alittle bit..but why go to all that trouble just make the holes alittle bigger and done.

That looks really nice Bryan and best of all it has a personality all it's own. Once you get it down these are pretty easy to make but they all look pretty much alike. Having one that has it's own look is a big plus.

Well done Buddy.

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks, that means a lot to me. It works. I guess that is the main test. I pulled on it hard. I'm sure I put more than 50# of pull on it and nothing. So I know it will hold a pot of beans over a fire. :)

Ah. . . Right to the important consideration! Not spilling the beans is by far the most telling trait of a proper trammel.;)

Frosty the Lucky.