I Forge Iron

320 layer Pattern Welded Touchmark

The mark it self is simple, just my initials, So I thought I would have fun and try forging the entire thing out of a 320ish layer bar of twist Pattern Welded steel that I whipped up out of some left over chunks of 15n20 and 1080 just for this purpose. It was forged to the hex shape (under the power hammer) and the mark on the end was forged into the tool by driving the spot heated end of it into an impression in another plate of steel (Thus the minor upsett at the end of the tool). The color difference at the end is similar to a hammon, and was caused by my hardening of only the end of the tool, then etching it, then re-polishing it, then tempering it and presreving the temper color. A very fun project indeed!

post-1880-032689600 1275445216_thumb.jpg

post-1880-071684000 1275445233_thumb.jpg

post-1880-021006300 1275445256_thumb.jpg

post-1880-028617800 1275445279_thumb.jpg

I was wondering how you were going to top that articulated tool tray and rack system,now I know.You have set the bar a little higher in the cool tool category.
Thanks for the pics.Keep us in mind for the next chapter,I know I`m very much looking forward to it.
I also really like the background in the one pic.Is that a radiator or an AC condenser coil?

Thanks Mark! I've worked at this for years to be able to forge nicer tools than I could afford to buy. Bob, your right about the radiator in the pic. It was on my workbench waiting for som modifications when I finished the touchmark and I thought it woul be a neat looking backdrop. Monstermetal..... your right! I love pattern welding and thouroughly enjoy building outstansing tools. I can't wipe the smile off of my face every time I get to wail on this chunk of steel. It fills me with pride in craftsmanship and takes me back to 20 years ago when all I had was the desire to make fine things. So, now that I'm capable, I take every opertunity to forge for myself things that I would never be able to buy even if I could find someone capable of making them for me! It is simply for the joy of looking at the finished project, Knowing full and well that I am responsible for every finite detail, and remanicing about the journey that it took to gather the tools, skills, and the know how, to turn my ideas into reality....Blacksmithing rules!!!

Jose: That is just plain beautiful and gives you bragging rights for sure. While I'm not the craftsman I was before the tree hit me I'm regaining the skills as time passes and I spend time at the anvil. Gee, what a surprise that is, eh?:o Practice builds skill.

Anyway, we share a couple outlooks, one of the great joys of smithing for me in addition to being able to make steel do what I want, is the ability to make tools as I need or want them, the way I want them. Before I got married I had a great job, lots of overtime and a pretty low budget place to live so I could afford to buy pretty expensive tools but making them myself was what made it worth it to build a fire. Now, buying a nice turning hammer is a lot more money than I want to spend but making my own was a joyous day at a good friends place and having made it with my own hands places it a little closer to my heart than my 25+ year old Diamond turning hammer.

Thanks for letting us enjoy a little of your joy in such a fine hand made tool, I'm honored.

Frosty the Lucky.

Once you get started welding billets you have to figure a way to use them all---some of my hammers have PW wedges to use the cut off ends of billets...

BTW Pep will be demonstrating at SWABA's mini-Conference in a couple of weeks if you *really* want to be impressed and are around Northern NM. Details on the SWABA website http://www.swaba-abana-chapter.org/