I Forge Iron

Unusual threads

I got these 3/4" threaded rods from my local scrap metal yard. The thread roots are unusually round and the count is 4.5 TPI. The nuts are made for this thread shape and spin easily on the rods. I wonder at the origin of these parts and what they were used for. Could I use them to build a light weight fly press or?

post-9588-011644400 1275436559_thumb.jpg

I got these 3/4" threaded rods from my local scrap metal yard. The thread roots are unusually round and the count is 4.5 TPI. The nuts are made for this thread shape and spin easily on the rods. I wonder at the origin of these parts and what they were used for. Could I use them to build a light weight fly press or?

Those are called dywidag bolts and are used for high tensile concrete anchor applications. They are made of cr-mo similar to astm 4140 steel.

Those are called dywidag bolts and are used for high tensile concrete anchor applications. They are made of cr-mo similar to astm 4140 steel.

Thanks NeatGuy. I Googled dywidag and found lots of info about this anchoring system that I was previously unaware of. Dunno what I will use them for but they are cool as heck.