I Forge Iron

Shop safety issue

Gents, thanks for your nice replies

For the sporadic times I quench the sporadic knifes I make from 13CrMo I use (outside the shop) a stand-up 3in steel pipe filled with heavy used motor oil on a pedestal.

Use the method of Archimedes, like describe in the threat before, to see how much oil my work piece will drive off to avoid spoiling and overflow. Do everything with a piece of fire retardant blanket and powder extinguisher standby.

Chisels, hammers and punches from C45 I generally harden with water after annealing, short quenching (in water) and using the rest heat together with the tempering colours traveling to the tips, cutting edges and work surfaces. Ended up with a final quench after the blue tempering colour reach her final position (tips, cutting edges and work surfaces). So I have a hard workface (50-62HRC) and an relative soft tool body to absorb the mechanical stress.

About the volume contains of extinguishers, please be aware that a 1gal extinguisher is good for 12(!) seconds spray time then he is empty. Know from my experience in petrochemical industry that at least a 3gal ext. + a safety guard have to stand by during welding activity’s.

Have no experience with antifreeze at all, fill always a fresh bucket 3gal water in garage or house witch I need for cool down the workpiece, keep the heat of the coal fire in place –or in case of emergency (fire on solid materials).   

Bye, Hans

I like it Hans you have it all in hand. My only gripe is quenching in used motor oil, too  many chemicals and junk worn out of the engine for me to want to breath the smoke. I AM a huge fan of using used oil I don't have to pay for though. I get mine from the Deli section of the local super market. They change oil in their fryers at least once a week, I ask when the next change is coming then drop off a clean 5gl. plastic jug with my name on it in black marker. I request the oil they fry donuts in but keep getting smoke in the shop that smells like chicken, fish patties, burritos, etc. Oh well, it's pure canola, non toxic and it's free.

Frosty The Lucky.