I Forge Iron

Zinc !!

Usually in the next bin down the line they will have black iron pipe fittings - no galvanized.
Yes, they did have some black iron pipe, but I didn't see any fittings that were large enough for anything I was wanting to do, where there were galvanized.

I couldn't even find a 5 gal steel can to use for a propane forge, everything was plastic. I'll need to stop somewhere else, like Kelly-Moore posibly.

Are there stores local that I could get 6" steel pipe at in most areas? I live in NorCal, and would like to make something similar to the simple forge, or even the mini-forge on Zoeller's website. The mini-forge used some 6" steel pipe.

I saw the poor boy forges on ebay, and they look nice being made from a 30 gal freon tank, but I'm not sure something like that is within my skills right now. I also have limited knowledge of welding, which is probably something I need to look into, but unfortunately can't do everything at once.

One thing is for certain, and that is that I do not want anything galvanized or zinc around my smithy, if for nothing else but to prevent me from using it accidentally. Maybe a quench tank, but I'd rather have a wood barrel for that if possible.

BTW, do you have any plans to sell Kaowool on IFI? I see you added some hammers, but I'm not currently in the market for such a nice hammer.

Let's brainstorm a bit, who uses 6" and larger pipe that would have drops? Pipeline companies, chemical industry, water company, sewer company etc etc. Drilling rigs maybe.

Look for a grease drum from the local garage. What about an old hot water tank? They come in different diameters, just strip off the tin skin, strip off the rigid insulation and you have a thin wall pipe.

CAUTION: Be careful when you cut into any closed container. Explosions can occure.

Shoot I have used a popcorn tin from the thrift store; a friend has used nothing just tieing baling wire around the kaowool to hold it into a cylinder. I picked up a helium party tank alonside the curb last month---used to inflate a small number of balloons for a party...

Don't over think it!

Thomas

Shoot I have used a popcorn tin from the thrift store; a friend has used nothing just tieing baling wire around the kaowool to hold it into a cylinder. I picked up a helium party tank alonside the curb last month---used to inflate a small number of balloons for a party...
Thomas, I like the helium tank better than the bailing wire.:)

I had my first smithing lesson today, and bought a cast iron forge from the smith, with a tuyere and clinker buster, all pretty much that I need except for the blower which I already have..., I couldn't turn it down as he gave me a very fair price. Fairly big forge, haven't taken it home, will need to go back with my wife's mini-van and get it. This puts less emphasis on building a propane forge, but still want to build one.

I think I'll go with something like the mini-forge shown on Zoeller's site, and use a small mapp tank.

The smith told me that he knows a place to get 6" iron pipe locally. I'll get a small section.

I have two gasser's currently in use. One used a grain auger tube for the shell---very light weight and very portable. The other used a section of Oxy welding cylinder and is massively heavy and hard to move---But it's great since you can weld on an adjustable stock support or other jigs due to the thickness of the shell.

Being out in dry country a gasser is necessary as many places I demo have a ban on other types of fires (some have tried to ban the propane forge too; but I asked why everyone use gas grills were still allowed...)

Thomas

I have two gasser's currently in use. One used a grain auger tube for the shell---very light weight and very portable. The other used a section of Oxy welding cylinder and is massively heavy and hard to move---But it's great since you can weld on an adjustable stock support or other jigs due to the thickness of the shell.
Fred Frontino has a place linked on his page that sells freon tanks that have been cut for front/back holes, for $10. I think I might go that route.
but I asked why everyone use gas grills were still allowed...)
Isn't it pathetic? I mean cooking on a gas grill, but considering a ban on forging shouldn't be allowed per our constituation, it's been going on for centuys. Same with firearms.

I asked why they would make a difference between the two and they said they were afraid that dropping hot steel on the ground might start a fire. It's hot dry and windy out here at times so folks are cautious---the BLM lands banned smoking *except* in your cars and tossing a cigarette but out the window would get you take out behind the woodshed---as a non smoker I applauded the anti-litter aspect of this!

Thomas

I asked why they would make a difference between the two and they said they were afraid that dropping hot steel on the ground might start a fire. It's hot dry and windy out here at times so folks are cautious---the BLM lands banned smoking *except* in your cars and tossing a cigarette but out the window would get you take out behind the woodshed---as a non smoker I applauded the anti-litter aspect of this!
To some extent I feel sorry for the Indian on the BLM lands, I mean, we take their land away from them, put them on a small section of land we "let them have back", and then we don't even let them smoke on their own land, a tradition that has been going on before white settlers came to America, AFAIK. There's a good case study there...:rolleyes:

Sometimes it seems our world has gotten so caught up in being politcially correct and forcing the values the govies prefer, that we loose sight of the past. Getting to the point you can't even light a forge without some activist breathing down your neck asking what you're doing that for.

• 3 years later...

I know that metals like mercury and lead are fat soluble, and it is the lifetime cumulative, or single time high dose that does the damage.

I have been looking a little and have not found if zinc does the same thing.

That being said, my understanding of most metal poisoning is that there are symptoms after a large exposure, and susceptibility to poisoning again goes up. Then symptoms abate, only to recur on the next exposure. Just because you feel better, does not mean you are...

And that the only treatment is chelation therapy that actually removes the offending metal from the body. That recovery is generally good, but damage to the lungs or other organs.. (Brain) ... may be permanent.

Remember that we use arsenic, chromium, and copper salts to preserve wood, or tan leather, and that even in small doses they can be very toxic....

And yet we need micro doses of metals like copper, zinc, chromium, selenium, and iron to keep our bodies functioning correctly...