I Forge Iron

Casting the knife

What do you guys think of using the lost wax casting method to make the general blade for my first knife and I can just grind it down and polish it up? I found a company near me in PA that does lost wax and wanted to know what you think http://www.ppcpinc.com/lost_wax_casting.html Also how is damascus design done on blades? it looks awesome!

If you're trying to make a Bronze Age knife, casting would be a good way to go about it. A steel blade, not so much.

Search the archives here -- or the Net generally -- for tutorials on pattern welding. That'll answer your question about "damascus." (The scare quotes aren't intended to be insulting; I just don't like to use the term Damascus for pattern welding, because I have an idea what real Damascus steel was -- and it wasn't pattern welded. I understand that you probably don't know the difference. That's OK.)

would not use casting to make a knife. the reason involves the difference that the grain structure between a cast steel and a forged steel cast will generally break easyier .what they call damascus today is pattern welded steel and there are books written about it . in a nutshell its 2 different steels welded together then manipulated . after grinding they are etched to show the differences between the 2 steels .if you are looking to start makeing knives there are companys that make blade blanks in a variety of sizes and styles .good luck!

Boye was originally casting those in D-2, and they got pretty favorable reviews, though heat treating D-2 isn't for the novice. Probably best to stick with simple alloys and grind or forge the first few.

Casting D2 wouldn't exactly be for the novice, either! I'm not sure I even understand what the point would be.

As I recall he was trying to find a way to produce inexpensive copies of forged blades- complete with hammer marks and on some, file teeth. D-2 was necessary to compensate for loosing strength in the casting process. There was a company casting blades in 1045 too, but I don't even forge blades out of steel that cheap!(I think they were located in India)