I Forge Iron

Hi from new member in central Minnesota

KjZitur

Hello everybody.....just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ken Zitur. I started blacksmithing in 1976 for the Burlington Northern Railroad at the boxcar repair facility in Waite Park, Minnesota. After completing a four year apprenticeship and receiving a diploma from the Railway Educational Bureau I worked as a railroad blacksmith for ten years. In 1980, I also had the opportunity to work with Paul Hubler, a prominent blacksmith from Rockford, Minnesota. It was in Paul

I made alot of grab irons (the rungs on the ladders) lifting rods, carrier straps, brake rods and lots of straightening.......it was a fun place to work, like working in a museum...........and I would like to say you have a great web site going here Glenn! Keep up the good work............ken

Welcome Ken and MaryLou, I am very impressed with your history. Hello from a former "carknocker" in New York. I too have straightened a few grab irons in my welding days. I worked in the old P.R.R. roundhouse at West Seneca N.Y. for two years until union troubles made the whole place inhospitable. Too bad, I loved the job and I especially miss driving the old G.E. diesel on switching duties (TOOT TOOT!). Ever sandblasted a boxcar outdoors at 3:00 a.m. in January in 30 mph winds howling off Lake Erie just 4 miles away? (now that's some real fun!) I am a newcomer to this craft who stumbled upon this site and I'm glad I did. What you will find here is a bunch of great folks who have an awful lot to share in pursuit of this great craft. Your level of experience makes us all drool in anticipation of what you may have to share. Welcome and keep on hammerin'. Dan.:)