I Forge Iron

My 701 pound Hay Budden...& a few others.....

the gentleman who started this topic has a 701 pound hay budden. Mine is 700 pounds. I am in immediate need of a psychiatrist, because of the fact that his weighs one more pound than mine......I am suffering from an acute case of anvil envy syndrome! Any suggestions?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a profound idea. Ever hear of anvil-blowing on the fourth of july? Mr. 701 pound hay budden can put his anvil on the bottom, while I put my "lightweight" 700 pounder on the top, we can fill the mousehole with gunpowder, and see how high my puny anvil will rise on this momentous occasion!

Suggestions---of course we have suggestions: Flip it over and go around the bottom edge with a welder for *2* pounds worth!

Mount a 2# brass plate to it with your name on it. And let me know when he's going to catch it and I'll try to arrange a truck with a crane to be "handy"...

My 100 pound Trenton also has a large step like yours.

post-4446-065987800 1276051607_thumb.jpg

Oooohhhh....SHIVER ME TONGS!!! I love it! One of my favorite characteristics of an anvil is a TALL step.....just makes for a beautiful profile, don't you agree!?

Great looking 103 Trenton you have there.....That's good steel in that Trenton, many were made without such quality steel, but yours is very nice!

Thanks for the compliments! Yes, I do really love the Trenton. I paid quite a bit of money for it as good, clean anvils are quite rare in my area. It's not flawless but, compared to most of the other beaten anvils around here, it is in good shape.

I just recently started using my new (to me) 280 pound Brooks, but I have the Trenton set up nearby as the slender horn and heel and large step are much more suitable for delicate work than a 'big-boned' Brooks.

Here is my entire toy collection, save the old beaters.
post-4446-036610500 1276054234_thumb.jpg

here is another one on sale on craiglist in detroit. email this posting to a friend detroit metro craigslist > macomb co > for sale / wanted > farm & garden
please flag with care:

miscategorized

prohibited

spam/overpost

best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
Huge Anvil on its own stand - $995 (lapeer)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-05-13, 5:05PM EDT
Reply to: see below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huge "Budden" made anvil (Brooklyn, NY) on its own stand. $995 Call 810-664-1396 Bring your wife to help pickup!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1739451708

No contact info? if the poster didn't include a phone number, email, or
other contact info, craigslist can notify them via email.

Copyright © 2010 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

To make things simpler for those folks who can't figure out Stuarts postings:

500# anvil $1200 on the Hartford Craigslist: http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/1765191111.html quite a lot of sway and overhang for more than $2 a pound IMNSHO

Huge anvil on it's own stand on Detroit Craigslist: http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/grd/1739451708.html No real indication of Size; looks big but not huge to me

• 3 weeks later...

I am really enjoying looking at the pictures and reading about these very large anvils ,they are all very nice. I am waiting for my latest purchase a 462lb Peter Wright anvil I found in Massachusetts on craigs list I cant wait to get it!!! Thanks for all of the postings.Shawn

Shucks, and I thought my latest purchase, a 430 pound Peter Wright was a very big anvil!

I look forward to more monster anvil pics.

You have a very nice anvil .I am a Peter Wright fan I have just bought a 462lb one off of graigs list from Masachusetts and am waiting for it to get to me .I would like to see a picture of yours. Thanks Shawn

• 9 months later...

I am really enjoying looking at the pictures and reading about these very large anvils ,they are all very nice. I am waiting for my latest purchase a 462lb Peter Wright anvil I found in Massachusetts on craigs list I cant wait to get it!!! Thanks for all of the postings.Shawn

Update this anvil ended up being 514lbs larger than expected.

the anvil i am working on in, youtube bruce wilcock forging rings ,and tongs is marked 7 cwt 1 qr -5 lb 42 ins long and 18 ins high this is a nice anvil to work on as the weight is in the waist and the short base has been filled with punchings mixed with cement ,no visible name but it came from kirkstall forge along with another same size ,dad exchanged that for a small anvil in the 60s to take out shoing , as kirkstall forge made anvils i dont think they would have bought one so its proberly thers .The anvil used in the youtube anchor welding ,is a cast steel anvil with 428 lbs stamped in not cast on it again no name ,it soon makes a anvil feel small when thw jobs get heavier, the vidioes were made in 2004 .we have a double ended one out in the yard that is 3-1/2 foot long that is in good order but the weight is in the ends and makes it tippy when used for heavy striking ,i will try to get photos of them .Bruce

the anvil i am working on in, youtube bruce wilcock forging rings ,and tongs is marked 7 cwt 1 qr -5 lb 42 ins long and 18 ins high this is a nice anvil to work on as the weight is in the waist and the short base has been filled with punchings mixed with cement ,no visible name but it came from kirkstall forge along with another same size ,dad exchanged that for a small anvil in the 60s to take out shoing , as kirkstall forge made anvils i dont think they would have bought one so its proberly thers .The anvil used in the youtube anchor welding ,is a cast steel anvil with 428 lbs stamped in not cast on it again no name ,it soon makes a anvil feel small when thw jobs get heavier, the vidioes were made in 2004 .we have a double ended one out in the yard that is 3-1/2 foot long that is in good order but the weight is in the ends and makes it tippy when used for heavy striking ,i will try to get photos of them .Bruce

Please do Bruce I'd love to see them.

• 2 weeks later...