I Forge Iron

My first experiance with Pewter- Spinning & Casting

I finally gave myself a little treat and ordered some Pewter and Bronze to try Spinning with.
Well, I got to work with the Pewter today, What Fun!! Everyone said it is a joy to spin...
The cast bar is for a set of Pewter Gobblets.

post-6253-080883700 1273474825_thumb.jpg

post-6253-052691200 1273474877_thumb.jpg

post-6253-051363600 1273474916_thumb.jpg

post-6253-091889300 1273474960_thumb.jpg

post-6253-099705100 1273475011_thumb.jpg

Nice looking cup you spun there. I have been going to Goodwill and buy some of the pewter items there for sheet stock for some time, a couple of weeks ago I got a large turkey platter for $3.99. Lots of flat area but probably to thick for your spun work if it's heavy enough to hold up a turkey. I also bought some tankards for $0.69 each. If you cut them apart you can still end up with a good sized flat sheet. Not a bad price and you still have lot of scrap left over for casting. Goodwill has lot of other little vases and do dads too. <_<

Pewter is rad. Not many of the usual rules apply. It work softens. You can cast it on your stovetop into a paper form. It will weld with a jewelers (plumbers) torch. Pewter will ooze into press dies. So fun.

Gotta reinforce those rims though, its super flimsy. Some round rod soldered onto your cup's rim would help. You can use plumbers solder.

Nice looking cup you spun there. I have been going to Goodwill and buy some of the pewter items there for sheet stock for some time, a couple of weeks ago I got a large turkey platter for $3.99. Lots of flat area but probably to thick for your spun work if it's heavy enough to hold up a turkey. I also bought some tankards for $0.69 each. If you cut them apart you can still end up with a good sized flat sheet. Not a bad price and you still have lot of scrap left over for casting. Goodwill has lot of other little vases and do dads too. <_<

Pewter is rad. Not many of the usual rules apply. It work softens. You can cast it on your stovetop into a paper form. It will weld with a jewelers (plumbers) torch. Pewter will ooze into press dies. So fun.

Gotta reinforce those rims though, its super flimsy. Some round rod soldered onto your cup's rim would help. You can use plumbers solder.

Bentiron-
Great tip on the Pewter!!! In order to tell if it is lead Pewter, it will tarnish? Is there another way to tell if it has lead in it? The stuff I'm using is lead free.

nuge-
The thickness of the cup is .043" so it is pretty stiff. I though about rolling the edge but don't think I need to for that thickness. If I use thinner stock I will have to for sure.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions for sure!

I like working Pewter because it is so easy, low heat, very soft and shiny!

All of the stuff that I have bought at Goodwill has been the newer stuff that is either made in England, Holland or USA and is relatively recent in production and lead free. The tankards are all made in Sheffield England, the platters and bowls that I have purchased have been made in the USA or Holland. I did get one piece made in Spain and it was stamped "Lead Free Pewter". I try not to buy items made in China as I don't know how their quality control is.
A few years ago when I was doing some casting for a fellow that wanted "white brass" I went to Goodwill and bought up a whole bunch of white brass candle stick that were "made in India". I don't know what that composition was, high nickle or just what, but it melted and cast up just fine. Harder than red or yellow brass though. I don't think it would spin well at all.

Goodwill Shopping I go...Thanks for the tips :D

Here is a picture of the UN-finished goblet (I made 4). I was hoping to finish them and do some forging this weekend but got really sick instead :(

The Pewter bit on the bottom of the stem is what I cast

post-6253-062621600 1274075536_thumb.jpg

Nice looking goblets!
I was at Goodwill today, saw a lot of tankards for $0.99 but didn't buy any as I have a dozen or more but did buy a very large pitcher for $2.50 that probably weighs four pounds and set of salt and pepper shakers that weigh a half pound each for $1.99. It'd be nice if you had a rolling mill or knew someone that did, I could pick up some of this pewter on half price Saturday and ship it up to you. I think it would be cheaper than buying stock from a supplier. :blink:

Half Price Saturdays!!!!!

I hope your sitting down Bentiron- I bought my Pewter from Atlas Metal in Denver, Co The size was 12"x24" the cost was $60.00 PLUS shipping and handling.

I think I better go check my local Goodwill and thrift stores but out here in Cali, they may think it gold and charge by the pound :o

I may be in touch I can find a rolling mill :D

No, I cast that piece to use as a component part. I cut 4 round discs out of it to use in the stems of the Goblets. I wish I had a rolling mill.... I will show pictures of the finished product.

Do you have machine tools? My goldsmith freind has a rolling mill and someday I am going to make a copy of it.

Very nice work by the way.

Hmmm, making a rolling mill. Thaaats a little above my pay grade <_<:D But I do have a mill and a lathe :D Ah, and a hammer...

I don't think it is above your paygrade at all, though I do understand that you may not feel inclined to build one. That being the case, take a look at this

http://www.findingking.com/p-37127-rolling-mill-rollers-7pcs.aspx

That is the same one that is sold by Harbor Freight(and same price) and if one is near you then there is no need to wait for the long, long wait for FindingKing to ship it to you. Nice folk at FindingKing, great prices but shipping is so slow, I'm talking snail pace here. :blink:

• 3 years later...