I Forge Iron

What can you do with old lawn mower blades?

Spark test at several locations, edge, center, spine as some have exotic edges. All are good for practice stock, some are good for knives, punches, drifts, hot and cold tools, but welding or significant upsetting may be in order if the stock is not thick enough for the purpose. Since these are clean, worn blades, look up what the literature on them is based on packaging and markings.

Phil

I have made knives, a spring for my leg vice, anything that needs stock about that thickness. They usually are about as high in carbon as a spring needs to be as they need to be able to take a hit and not shatter while holding an edge as long as possible.

I forged a socketed spear head out of one about 20 or so years ago. I still have it and it still has the stamped part number showing on it. Every so often I take it out and peg it at the palm tree in my back yard just to keep my aim sharp. You never know when you might see a want ad for an accomplished spearman.;)