I Forge Iron

Abana Conference

clinton

I live about 20 minutes away from the conference venue. I will be setting up the conference the week before and tearing down the week after. Just look for "The Worlds Tallest Blacksmith" I'm 6'9" so I should be fairly easy to find. Also, I still have available dry camping at our farm in Somerville, tent campers are welcome to erect a "meadow muffin". We have a 4 acres of nice grassy area to camp on. There is room for two RVs near the shop building complete with 50amp services and water hookup. Just let me know if you would like to hang out with us.

I am arriving the Sunday night before the conference and will be also helping set up and tear down

Big John thanks for vollunteering you shop tools and time to make sure the ABANA comference goes off with out too many hitchs
Looking forward to meeting you. I heard good things about you while on the last ABANA sewt up conference call

I am going to the Mississippi conference the weekend before and coming two days early for that for a class with with Brian Brazeal
I saw him demonstrate at LAMA and was so impressed I signed up for the class

Thanks Brian

I'm missing the ABANA conference but hope to be at Quad-State this year. (camping in Memphis in June vs having a visit with my Stepson and new grand baby in OH in September *and* staying over with my Stepdaughter and the new grand-twins on the way there and back---my wife told me which one I got to do...)

Have fun y'all!

Thomas

Mississippi Forge Council Conference is the Memorial Weekend May 27-30.

Featured Demonstrator: Brian Brazeal, Various advanced blacksmithing techniques. Also R. Adrian Sturdivant Wood Turning, George Berry - Wood Carving, and Joe Gilbert - Flint Napping. There are many others events planned.

Those with a little extra time could make both conferences.

I too, must miss the ABANA conference. I have attended all conferences since 1986 that were in the summer. I cannot attend the first week of June. My school will not give me professional release time during the end of the school year. (Sigh)) I have discussed this with the ABANA board, but they had to go with an open time for the venue, and hoping the weather is not too hot. I hope to be retired by the next one, so it will not be a factor. I just have to decide if a drive to the Dakota's is worth it.

Sorry I will miss meeting some of you. My Museum is always open for blacksmith if in NJ(07727). Just contact me first.

I think I might fly in from Boston. Trying to stay on the cheap at a local Memphis hotel (not worth bringing tent I think). If someone would like to split a cheap motel I found comfort inn at $90 a night or less. That is only $25 a night more than tenting for two people. Three folks and it is down to $10 premium for showers. Contact me directly.

Thanks!
Doug

Be sure to check out the walnut "Gavel" I made for the conference. I turned the parts, and we created the conference logo on Correll, then engraved the head with the laser engraver.

I mailed it off to the ABANA central office Saturday. They might use it for the opening ceremony, and then auction it off on Saturday. It is also signed by me. If anyone is at the auction, could you let me know how much it brings. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I will see you guys at the conference, I will be wearing my Iforgeiron shirt
Maybe we can try to get together for a group photo and have some refreshments, tell a few stories, feel free to stop me and introduce yourself, I would like to meet ya-all face to face
See you in Memphis

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back last night from my trip to ABANA and then on to Arkansas. While at ABANA I had a great time.Got to meet a few of you and work with Gerald Boggs,Mark Aspery , Brian Brazeal and Lyle (LDW). Was truly a learning experience.Gerald and Mark were supporting the green coal tent and Brian was running a dawn till dusk demo station with his own equipment under the trees.Then did demos under the tent as well. Thank you all for your help and instruction !
It was really good to see the different types of power hammers being used and to talk with the folks using them.
Back to reality now, heading for work....

Dick