I Forge Iron

Howdy from Southern Illinois

Gobann

Greetings all,

I heard about iforgeiron and thought I'd register and see what goes on.

I've done a bit of smithing in classes as well as on my own. I got into metalsmithing from my interest in history, espcially ancient and medieval military stuff. I do some reenactment, and discovered that I could make a lot of my own gear for twice the fun!

Thanks to Glenn and Andrew for a great site!

All the best,
Nathan G. aka Gobann

Greetings all,

Thanks for the great welcome!

I've gone to SIU (Southern Illinois University) Edwardsville (near St. Louis) for most of my undergrad studies. This past spring (2006) however, I spent the semester at SIU Carbondale for the specifica purpose of taking a few blacksmithing classes. I worked with Rick Smith and Matt Haugh, and just recently met John Medwedeff and saw his shop--a fantastic place. :D

I'm a member of IVBA (I think I have to send in dues sometime soon lol) and I do a bit of work for Stan Schwartz (Trying-it is his name on here I think), who told me about this site. I knew there was quite a bit of IVBA stuff going on in Salem and Mt. Vernon, but I didn't know when exactly they met--I'll have to get over there sometime.

As for exactly where I am, I live on a farm outside Oakdale :) It's south of I-64 a ways from Nashville, IL.

Thanks again for the warm welcome,
All the best,
Nathan aka Gobann