I Forge Iron

got an anvil--now I need an ID

Got an anvil over the weekend! I kept trying to spread the word, and finally got the right person who had 2, and GAVE me the larger one!!
Now I want to now more about it. I am guessing it's cast iron--no ring--steel face--nice rebound. It has an "E" on a front foot.
One side looks like it has been 'eaten away', so I'm not sure what that's about. The hardy hole looks like it was supposed to be 1-1/4", or maybe 1-3/8" (?), and the pritchell hole is 1/2". In the pics it is sitting on a 12" X 12" stand. I haven't weighed it yet, but I moved it onto the stand myself and I think I may be an inch or two shorter for it. So I know it's 100+ lbs.

post-13470-12711606624283_thumb.jpg

post-13470-1271160676996_thumb.jpg

post-13470-1271160714318_thumb.jpg

post-13470-12711607267402_thumb.jpg

post-13470-12711607414179_thumb.jpg

post-13470-12711607562875_thumb.jpg

Get or make a set of long calipers to reach in and measure the hardy down deeper. The top was heavily dressed around the hardy, and may be worn from bending too. If the size is inconveniently large you can shim the hardy to take "standard" 1 inch tools, or you can do what has been done since anvils first had hardy holes and make your own! I made a bolster block out of 1 inch mild for sizing hardy shanks since I was afraid of (re)breaking my old broken cast iron anvil.

Nice looking anvil overall!
Phil

looks like an early Fisher anvil, you can still just barley make out the eagle (Eagle Fisher anvil symbol) on the side that is worn. I dont think that the deformation in one side is a casting flaw, more than likely some fellow was making chisels or picks or some type of pointed tool, after making it it was fairly common for a smith to strike the side of the anvil to test the point by how deep it cut into the anvil, you can see where the smith more than likely was testing chisels in one of the corners running to the feet.

looks like a nice anvil, enjoy

I was going to go with Vulcan as they also had a raised oval trademark and are known for their thinner face steel. (and it is steel faced you can see it on the side pics!)

Price was good! Now go forth and use it and keep telling folks you are wanting another to balance it out...

Thanks guys, I plan on using it as much as possible, but this day job really gets in the way of my 'real' work! It's funny, once I got it home and tried it, it was quieter than my chunk of railroad track I was using.
Ml, you are right about the marks on it, and that would explain the surface on the side of the anvil.
otisdog-that is one of my old tires in the back-gotta get to the dump with those some day. But, since we are in springtime here in NH, I'm sure I need an alignment anyway.

Your anvil a a Fisher anvil, made in the 1870's. The Eagle mark was raised from the surface. The pock marks are casting defects. Not all Fisher anvils were perfect. Yours may have been sold as a "second". This was done by Fisher around this time. They will not affect the use. What counts is the top surface, edges, and hardness. Enjoy.

I don't believe that damage is casting flaws. Look at the square punch marks to the left, and the round punch marks all over along with the chisel marks. I think this person was a tool maker, punches, chisels, etc. Some of it may have been casting flaws, but it was helped along a lot!

Good score, lots of life left in it. Happy hammering!

In the end, it really does not matter...but, aside from the few chisel marks on the foot, and the square punch marks, the rest of the pock marks are from when the anvil was cast. I really do not want to get into an arguement over this, because it really does not matter. If you want to see more anvils with almost identical defects, or what the rest of the Fisher line looked like, including all of the different styles made, come to my museum. PM me anytime anyone is in NJ area.

Thanks to all. There are a lot of people here with mucho knowledge, and I hope to soak up as much as possible!
Thanks, njanvilman, for the ID, and to everyone who has chimed in-it's all good.
I never thought I would be one of 'those guys' who stumbled across a free anvil. I feel like this story should begin with "Dear Penthouse"!!