I Forge Iron

Is blacksmithing a good career choice? or would i be better off getting a diffrent job and doing this as my hobbie in my spare time?

I am considering getting trained as a metal smith but im wondering, is there really any real point?
I enjoy making items out of any material but metal smithing attracted me because of the skill it requires and it's ability to tie in with real life uses but from looking around these forums i am left wondering if i be better off being a metal smith or just doing metal working as a hobbie?
It seems that people have trouble keeping thier buissnesses viable and want to know if it's worth it.

This question should be a sticky. There is no easy answer, since we are all so different, in skill level, drive(ambition), business experience, and location. Yes, location. You could be a great smith, with a degree in business administration, and still not make it if;
A. There is no local demand for hand wrought metal work.
B. There is plenty of demand, but also an overabundence of skilled smiths offering their services.

The quick and dirty is, start as a hobbyist. If you love the work, live, eat, sleep and dream metal, continue. If other folks like your work, explore the commercial possibilities. Remember though, to make a living as a self employed anything, the business side is every bit as important as the production side. Do you have the discipline to force yourself to work every morning, even if you feel a bit under par? Do you have the follow through to finnish a job when it turns out you underbid the hours needed by 300% or more? The first job you don't deliver after accepting a deposit will be your last.

Finaly, to try to actualy address the question as asked, yes, I think it is a good career choice, I love my work!
As to the second part of your question, yes, get a different job, but in a related feild, one which will contribute to your eventual goal of metalsmithing. Some of the "aprentice" and "journeyman" jobs I had along the way, welder in a machine shop, fabricator in many weld shops, sheetmetal installer, sheetmetal fabricator, plumber, shipyard welder, autobody, factory millwright, ironworker, and draftsman for an architech.
All of these jobs gave me the skills I use today, and I also took every forging, welding or maching class I could find or afford, in addition to reading many score of books and spending countless hours on the inter-web.

Thank you i have thought about what u said and am going to become a metal smith but i will probally move to an area where their is work or maybe join the army they offer metal smithing training anyhow.
Thanks again and i hope you have a good day.

I tell you what.... I had a "great" job before I started Monster Metal... was in charge of a large surplus and equipment division at a local company. In other words I got paid to spend other peoples money on tools B) Pretty much a dream job, and I still hated it after a while... I am a doer... I want to be in the shop getting dirty and I want the freedom to do it when I am inclined to. I went from making a lot of money, to basically working for free.... And I couldn't be happier. The ability to create something, to work towards a goal and see what was once just an idea become a solid,tangible reality... its very rewarding. My feeling is that if you want to become as good as you can be, it can be all you can do. You can do anything, just not everything (focus is key) If you look at most all of the people who have made a real contribution, they where driven and focused.... Metal is what puts my food on the table, its my hobby and my inspiration... Its practicably a religion...(Ok so I dont worship metal but you get the idea)

So my 2 cents is.... If you feel the same way, If you want to devote your life to the ever expanding but never complete understanding of metal. If making things gives you satisfaction and you feel fulfilled by the creation aspect, then go for it. If you look at it as a "Job" or wonder even if its "worth it" Id say think real hard about what makes it worth it..... If its important you make a lot of money or that you have lots of free time to pursue other interests... Being a one man (or small) shop is not for you.. I work 70+ hours a week and didn't make a dime last year (actually I lost money) But I still feel what I do is worth it. I am happy (sometimes stressed out, but happy) and wouldnt consider taking a "job" that paid a fortune...

I am currently reopening my shop for the third time. I am quite the glutton for punishment apparently. In response to the question, yes you can make a living as a metal smith. You could make a far more comfortable living doing just about anything else, but whats the fun in that? The sad truth is that demand for hand wrought metal products is quite limited and most businesses that provide forging services are running on marginal profits. But, they are running and making a profit, so yes you can make a living at this. You won't survive working for another smith though. In my experience most shops pay student wages and little beyond. Mostly this is due to the economics of the business and not necessarily due to smiths just being cheap bastards. I for one am pretty much done with having employees for that reason, not being able to make payroll bothers me more than not hitting a delivery date! I find, at least for myself, that I can't get away with doing this as a hobby, it sucks up too much time and money! So I have little choice but to find a way to make the shop pay for itself.

If you have to ask the question I would have to say the aswer is NO its not a good career choice for you

I couldn't disagree more. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking if making a career out of something is viable. When you go to college, you have a vast array of choices in front of you. It would be foolish to not look around, ask questions and consider BOTH what 1) you want to do and 2) what puts food on the table.

Arftist gave a great answer and Monstermetal gave another. Zats - It's a great question, and I'm glad you asked it.

Well said Mr M.

Metal is what puts my food on the table, its my hobby and my inspiration... Its practicably a religion...(Ok so I don't worship metal but you get the idea)

Oh? I have a religious experience when I hit that aha moment when I'm making things that inspire me. Or spending the afternoon teaching something I'm so passionate about that I have butterflies because I'm so excited about the subject.

I have to ask- If not for that moment and that feeling, why wold we work every waking moment on learning and doing for so little $?

I'm not sure how old you are zats, but if you like working metal and feel the least bit of passion for it, spend time learning it from the "old-timers" and gaining a variety of experiences. Life is a journey and the ride is every bit as important as the result.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox :D :D

After giving some further thought to the question, no blacksmithing is not a "good career". But it is quite worthwhile and if you truly feel inclined twords it, by all means jump right in! It is more than possible to make a living at this. I have sold almost everything I have ever made, so there must be a market. It is simply not an easy way to make a living. But that goes for any career in the arts. Our world would be a far lesser place if there weren't those who dedicated their lives to seemingly futile pursuits. As bad as things have ever gotten with my iron business I have never gone hungry or lost my home, car , ect. I have faced long periods of not being able to buy gas/coal/steel/ect, and long stretches where I had no idea where the next project was coming from. That is part of the adventure! And for every lean time I have had some good booming times too, you just have to find the right project/product.

I am considering getting trained as a metal smith but im wondering, is there really any real point?
I enjoy making items out of any material but metal smithing attracted me because of the skill it requires and it's ability to tie in with real life uses but from looking around these forums i am left wondering if i be better off being a metal smith or just doing metal working as a hobbie?
It seems that people have trouble keeping thier buissnesses viable and want to know if it's worth it.

Have you tried any blacksmithing?
If you have not, then try and see if that helps answer your question.
If you have,then from personal experience i would say it could be that there might not be any point.
I tried it initially and got bit, had to continue, apart from that and till this day I know that money is not my objective in life. I consider myself lucky that I can earn enough to get me over the hill but more importantly I enjoy what I do. There are lots of easier ways to earn money if that is the objective. Take on a course and see how you fair.

First thing first, thanks to everyone for your opinions they have helped me quite a bit actually and would just like to say that when i asked "is it worth it?" i wasn't talking about money and was talking about forefilment, a feeling that let you know what you have done is worth something, i feel that when i do metal smithing and wanted to know if this feeling was potentionally ruined by the uncertanty of it as a career.

My question is now answered and i that you all for your help and opinion. i am 16 just so you know and am baseing my future on what you have told me so thanks because now i have reasonable idea of how my life will be like.Good from what i can tell, thanks again Chris.

When i was kid 13 I decided that I wanted to be a knifemaker I went around finding knifemakers in the local area

most of them turned me down, I knew I wanted to be a knifemaker but there was no one for me to learn with and I had no tools

I had a sink and a house fan and wood and heated metal as hot as i could get it and screwed around it never worked well but i had fun with a cement anvil and claw hammer

I always had trouble learning in a classroom or when many people are around I learn best either on my own entirely or with someone one on one like my dad used to teach me

I have worked always in some sort of trade
as a audio visual tech
machine shop kid
bricklayer for a week
heavy duty transport mechanic (I always thought being a mechanic would be the right thing for me, but it wasnt)
Sheetmetal worker
welder/fabricator

I always liked cars but the work as a mechanic really sucked working on your own stuff isnt as bad
honestly find something that makes you happy and pays you enough to live and the rest will come.

if there are 8 billion people on the planet I would be suprised if every single one of them doesnt have some kind of "TaLeNt" or skill

Its up to you to be intelligent and determined, you need many things to complete anything
I knew once I made the choice that eventually it would lead to personal satisfaction above all.
we can all be wealthy without money and hopefully we can allow ourselves to see clearly and know ourselves well enough to know what we truly need.

In other words just go do something if you dont like it or it doesnt work out maybe you should try again or find something that you like

at this point anything that you do, is better than sitting still

Remember that the smithing part of it is only a little part of running a smithing business: Quotes, Designs, metal in, tools, *SELLING*, *TAXES*, working with architects, homeowners, dunning people who are slow to pay, are all part of the "job" as well.

I apprenticed for a year to a professional swordmaker and learned that I preferred to do it as a hobby than as a business; a lucky lesson as it turned out as I was working in a large corporation when I learned I was diabetic and had health insurance to cover the costs involved.