I Forge Iron

Wrought Iron Nuts??

So my dad gave me some big ol square nuts to squish in the Flatifier.... Which I did... and much to my surprise the thing de-laminated....
4478281520_95842786eb.jpg

4478281816_29fc57afa9.jpg
4478281736_1bc91e59af_m.jpg

So I cut and broke one and did a spark test.... They are defiantly low or no carbon.. no split bright sparks.. The break test is a little strange... If it is wrought its better grade wrought than other things I have done the break test on..

4478281684_6f3701bd49.jpg
4478281592_cbafd7cba0.jpg

And like I said... these are big... I think this one is about a 2 1/2" About 4 1/2" square and 3 1/2" tall

So what do you all think?

I think they are WI do to the delamination and point out that while *best* practice would have been to weld a ring and then tap it there is a whole lot of "not so good practice" out there---it wouldn't be mentioned in places like "Practical Blacksmithing", Richardson, unless folks were

?

So you are voting against it being wrought?

No, they're definitely WI but with the grain parallel to the bolt they are too easily split. High strength nuts are made by welding a ring from a length of bar, forming the flats, sizing the hole and then cutting the thread. With a nut made like this there is a weakness as the fibres are tending to be pulled apart rather than stretched along their length. I suspect that with this size it probably doesn't matter much.

No, they're definitely WI but with the grain parallel to the bolt they are too easily split. High strength nuts are made by welding a ring from a length of bar, forming the flats, sizing the hole and then cutting the thread. With a nut made like this there is a weakness as the fibres are tending to be pulled apart rather than stretched along their length. I suspect that with this size it probably doesn't matter much.

Yeah I can see that.... There is a lot of meat in these though, the sides of the nut are over a 1" thick and 3" tall... that is a lot of material for even a large nut...