I Forge Iron

railing install

hey all
i need to quote a railing job that a guy wants installed in his yard. There is an existing wood fence to come out and the new fence will be powdercoated before installation. what is the best way to install this railing? i was thinking holes and concrete like i would do a wood fence just wondering what you guys thought. it will be standard style fence made with 1/2 inch solid pickets etc.
thanks for any info
kyle

hey all
i need to quote a railing job that a guy wants installed in his yard. There is an existing wood fence to come out and the new fence will be powdercoated before installation. what is the best way to install this railing? i was thinking holes and concrete like i would do a wood fence just wondering what you guys thought. it will be standard style fence made with 1/2 inch solid pickets etc.
thanks for any info
kyle

Hey Kyle..

We need more info.... Pictures would of the old fence and site would be helpful as well...

Kyle: That's too open a question to ask and expect a meaningful answer, like Monster says we need more info. There are lots of ways to safely mount a railing but there are more ways to go wrong. For an easy first example of wrong, NOT doing it to code. It doesn't matter if the way you do something is better than code, inspectors aren't likely to sign off on something that isn't on the approved list.

So, if you'll post some pics and maybe drawings of what you have in mind we'll be happy to toss out ideas and experiences while you do the necessary homework on codes and such. Being the manufacturer of something like a railing means you're liable if it fails and someone is hurt, especially if it's not to code. If it's spot on code you have a defense in court, no guarantee but a chance.

Frosty the Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys thanks for your info a while back. it is still in process. i appriciate the talk on codes etc.. and always follow what they say. that way i have something to stand on if an accident would occur involving any of my items that are code based. anyways i got it all squared up but appriciate you guys taking the time to read my post. i see you on here often and hope to one day meet you or take a peak at your shops. thanks
kyle

Sharing info, experience and learning from each other is why we're here. Well, there's also the tall tales and pun threads of course but that's the social end of the place. Seriously, there are few things that advance a person's skill like a good question to make you think, problem solve or maybe just wing an answer.

Hopefully next time we'll have a better answer for you.

Frosty the lucky.