I Forge Iron

vulcan anvil

Anvils are like women, get the best built one you can afford. A swayed back, shows her age is better than nothing but do not spend a lot for her. Around here, I see Vulcan anvils all the time, most are worn out and still cost a good bit. I see them because no ones buys them. To be fair if they did not ask so much ($200 for a 75 lbs) they could sell them. I have seen several at local flea markets for months and they do not sell. In the end buy, what you can afford or make do with what you have until a deal comes your way. I made do for a long time and finally found a hay budden with a stand for what the flea market guy wanted for a much smaller worn out vulcan.

Vulcan's are near or at the bottom of the list. That is for a full time working smith.
A 100 and up is an OK starter anvil. I couldn't find anything else so I got a 110 lb Russian. A few hrs later got a call to pick up a minty 100 lb vulcan. Russian went back to HF. all of a sudden it was raining Hay Buddens, Trentons and Fishers. The vulcan found a home with one of my guild members(also on here) Don't wait for greatest anvil. Get sompthing ya can hammer on now. Then just keep your eyes and ears open. WARNING you are entering the "I want a bigger better one" zone. Enjoy the ride.
Ken

I don't know what part of country you are located in so it is hard to advise. When you buy on eBay you may get a wonderful price but then you look at the shipping costs and that can be a deal killer right there on something like an anvil. These things don't fit in a flat rate box. I would hesitate to buy a Vulcan that I couldn't see, feel or hear, it could be pure trash. Like others have said they are at or near the bottom of quality but much better than a HF anvil. Good luck in finding an anvil that suits your needs.

Vulcans have a rather thin face and a cast iron body as such they are a quiet anvil not ringing loud when struck and so good for city and suburb use. They tend toward a soft face too on the ones I have used.

So look carefully for how much face is left and look for cracks. In decent shape they are a whole lot better than a cast iron HF ASO; but don't pay PW or HB prices for one.

Numbers generally indicate size for Vulcans, multiply by 10 to get the appx weight the number cast into the top of the foot. Logo is an arm and hammer cast proud from the surface in an oval. Some have an II&B under the heel (IL Iron and Bolt IIRC)

But basically such things indicate: maker---which you know, weight---which you know and for some brands a serial number that can be correlated with date made using Anvils in America.

• 3 weeks later...

I own a 60 pound vulcan that i got on ebay. i over paid however i do love my little anvil. it does have ok rebound the face is very soft. the face plate is almost 1/4" thick but i did dent twice from poor hammer control. so for a beginner its price is nice but if your gonna hit it by mistake with a hammer like i did you could be in trouble!