I Forge Iron

What to make from an automobile tie rod?

My favorite mechanic has given me permission to scrounge metal from his recycle bin - anything there is free, I just have to take it away before his usual recycle man shows up.

So, I've got this very meaty tie bar and I'm wondering - what have you learned smiths made out of such an item?

I use a tie bar AS IS for busting out concrete. It has removed many square feet of sidewalk and driveway since breaking. My Dad brought it home years ago and it has been struck by sledge hammers countless times by myself and my brothers.

It is hardenable and can be made into struck and striking tools, chisels and hammers. If you feel like breaking it down enough it may be decent for knives even.

Phil

So, I've got this very meaty tie bar and I'm wondering - what have you learned smiths made out of such an item?

Well, I'm not exactly what you might call a learn-ed smith, but I did make a tire iron out of a steering part and put it to good use doing a couple of section repairs.