I Forge Iron

Latest project: Quimby Gates

David Browne

I'm working out a very simple latch system that uses an offset round counterweight that pushes a sliding bolt that will go "klunk" when it's opened, and "klunk" when it's locked (think eccentric on a mechanical power hammer). I'll get you a picture when I get it worked out

Nice! Some doors we have done have that noise. Its odd how comforting that noise is with motion to open or close. I don't know, maybe Im weird. Satisfies that voice in my head when I experience it. Other than a jail cell I dont know where I wouldnt want to hear that lol.

I like how clean both sides are, especially the back.

The small gate is now complete. The larger thicker-walled side post took care of the sag/deflection issues we were having. I've also included some photos of the "klunk-lock" mechanism in open and closed position. For the handles and the counter-weights, I used discarded cutout plugs from my waterjet cutter. Whenever he cleans out the bed of his large machines there is always a huge pile of wet sand and slugs that he lets me sort through for usable discs ranging from 1/4" thick up to several inches thick in various diameters and alloys. A five gallon bucket lasts me forever and the rest he recycles. The handle plugs were 1 1/2 x 3 forged down on the power hammer to soften and bulge the sides. I finished getting the rust patina on the gates this weekend and will install the pair early this week (in plenty of time before my client's party next weekend). I'll try and get photos after installation (with permission), so you can see them in context.
-DB

I used discarded cutout plugs from my waterjet cutter. Whenever he cleans out the bed .....-DB

I'm liking what I see ... a lot!

Had me going there for a minute, thought your workshop was pretty well equiped if you had a waterjet cutter in itwink.gif

Nice! Some doors we have done have that noise. Its odd how comforting that noise is with motion to open or close. I don't know, maybe Im weird. Satisfies that voice in my head when I experience it. Other than a jail cell I dont know where I wouldnt want to hear that lol.

I like how clean both sides are, especially the back.

Rory, I love that sound too! I don't think you are weird at all, but you are sounding a little suspiciously like an "artist"...;)

Ya-I was thinking Wow! he has a water jet? Phew, its a friends. I'd be really envious if you had one...

I hope I don't come off sounding mean or critical- I REALY like the design and execution but one thing- Those pop rivets gota go... Unless they are tamper proofs and I can't see the full detail. Otherwise beautifully done! I hope the owners give you permission to share!

Ya-I was thinking Wow! he has a water jet? Phew, its a friends. I'd be really envious if you had one...

I hope I don't come off sounding mean or critical- I REALY like the design and execution but one thing- Those pop rivets gota go... Unless they are tamper proofs and I can't see the full detail. Otherwise beautifully done! I hope the owners give you permission to share!

Fe, I assure you there are no pop rivets on this gate! I had to go back and look at my photos to see what you were referring to. I see now. The ones that you are thinking are pops rivets are actually stainless button head allen drive fasteners (drilled and tapped). I had to use these because I didn't have enough clearance to get a solid rivet in there. I'm going to blacken them and they should disappear. Thanks for the kind words and for not letting me get away with any shortcuts. B);)
-DB

Installation went pretty well. Everything fit, and no fingers or toes got crushed. I call that a good day. Luckily there was a contractor and a stone mason on site doing some additional stonework on an outdoor barbecue. They helped us carry the large gate up the stairs and set it into place on the hinge pin. Apologies- the photos are not very good. It was too shaded near the large gate and too much sun washed out the small one. But, hopefully you get the idea of the context. The small gate leads to a deck overlooking downtown San Diego, the bay and the ocean. B)
-DB

post-4136-1269486690504_thumb.jpg

post-4136-12694866921809_thumb.jpg

post-4136-12694866936009_thumb.jpg

post-4136-12694866950843_thumb.jpg

post-4136-12694866962483_thumb.jpg

post-4136-12694866974461_thumb.jpg

post-4136-1269486698565_thumb.jpg

Even better seeing them in situ. Great stuff Davidbiggrin.gif

I love the colours on the Corten, does do they stay that vivid or do they develop into more of a dark chocolate colour

Youngdylan,
The cor-ten (A588) is pretty interesting stuff. I really like the variation of colors that it has at present as well, but it will continue to darken to a more uniform medium/dark brown over time. How much time depends on the environment. Probably 1 or 2 years. The thing that is really interesting about this steel is the tightness of the rust pattern. By all appearances, the gates look like they are covered with a rust that will rub off on you if you brush against it (that's what we are used to). BUT...you can run your hand across them and nothing comes off. It is a really tightly contained color that has seemingly sealed itself. Pretty cool, huh?

Youngdylan,
The cor-ten (A588) is pretty interesting stuff. I really like the variation of colors that it has at present as well, but it will continue to darken to a more uniform medium/dark brown over time. How much time depends on the environment. Probably 1 or 2 years. The thing that is really interesting about this steel is the tightness of the rust pattern. By all appearances, the gates look like they are covered with a rust that will rub off on you if you brush against it (that's what we are used to). BUT...you can run your hand across them and nothing comes off. It is a really tightly contained color that has seemingly sealed itself. Pretty cool, huh?

Now that is pretty cool. From the pictures is does look like it will wipe off. I really wanna have a go a using cor-ten now, guess this will make is easier to "sell" the idea of a "rusty gate" to customers. Kinda the "anti stainless steel"wink.gif

Is it available in a good choice of sections or is it mainly plate. How does it compare cost wise to "normal" steel

Over here we've got quite a famous piece of sculpture made from cor-ten that gets a lot of publicity; "The Angel of the North"

Now that is pretty cool. From the pictures is does look like it will wipe off. I really wanna have a go a using cor-ten now, guess this will make is easier to "sell" the idea of a "rusty gate" to customers. Kinda the "anti stainless steel";)

Is it available in a good choice of sections or is it mainly plate. How does it compare cost wise to "normal" steel

Over here we've got quite a famous piece of sculpture made from cor-ten that gets a lot of publicity; "The Angel of the North"

Cool rust Angel. Like Danger said earlier, rust is my favorite color too, although I have found it VERY difficult sell rust to a customer. In the consumer world, rust is a four letter word and it takes some educating on our part to get them to even consider it as an option. I have stopped referring to it as a rust finish and have taken up "brown patina". It seems to soften the sting a bit, even though later on I will tell them the brown color comes from rust. The biggest deterrent to rust finishes is the proposition of future maintenance (re-sealing when the rust eventually breaks through). In my mind, it is much easier to apply a coat of wax once a year, rather than pull the entire railing out and sandblast/re-coat when the paint fails in 3 to 5. Cor-ten may help with this aspect. In nearly ten years of trying to peddle rust finishes to customers, I have been successful only three times prior to this job. Two were interior stair cases (waxed), and one was for exterior gates and fencing (also heavily waxed). In fact, on one of the railing jobs, I initially suggested a rust finish to the client during the design process. She gave me a horrified look and said "oh no, I don't want rust, I want a blackened patina". I brought her a black patina sample the following week (along with a "brown patina" sample) and she said, "I really like this brown one"...;)

Where I am on the West Coast, A588 is commonly available in plate, but I am able to order all structurals (angle, channel and I-beam) as well as a good selection of rounds (up to 3") and flats. Square seems to be least available- only 1/2, 3/4 and 1" from what I could find.

As for forging the stuff, I haven't tried it yet, but I gave a couple cut-offs to a friend who teaches intermediate blacksmithing here locally. She was anxious to see how it forged and ran it through her coal forge. She said it forged wonderfully and forge welded even better (more like pure iron). Alloying elements include carbon, copper, sulfur, manganese, phosphorus, and chromium. I would like to hear from someone more expert on the subject whether there are toxicity issues when forging this particular alloy... It is expensive. Roughly 2 to 3 times the cost of mild steel in plate, and 3-4 times the cost of mild steel in structural shapes. I did not price out rounds, solids or squares.
-DB

My first thought about the Angle of the North was about the bending moment on the wings in a heavy wind, must be a good foundation under that sucker. :o

Seriously! All those ribs add structure, but they look like they catch a lot more wind, too! A monster foundation, I'm sure...Pretty cool piece, though.

Cool rust Angel. Like Danger said earlier, rust is my favorite color too, although I have found it VERY difficult sell rust to a customer. In the consumer world, rust is a four letter word and it takes some educating on our part to get them to even consider it as an option. I have stopped referring to it as a rust finish and have taken up "brown patina". It seems to soften the sting a bit, even though later on I will tell them the brown color comes from rust. The biggest deterrent to rust finishes is the proposition of future maintenance (re-sealing when the rust eventually breaks through). In my mind, it is much easier to apply a coat of wax once a year, rather than pull the entire railing out and sandblast/re-coat when the paint fails in 3 to 5. Cor-ten may help with this aspect. In nearly ten years of trying to peddle rust finishes to customers, I have been successful only three times prior to this job. Two were interior stair cases (waxed), and one was for exterior gates and fencing (also heavily waxed). In fact, on one of the railing jobs, I initially suggested a rust finish to the client during the design process. She gave me a horrified look and said "oh no, I don't want rust, I want a blackened patina". I brought her a black patina sample the following week (along with a "brown patina" sample) and she said, "I really like this brown one"...wink.gif

Where I am on the West Coast, A588 is commonly available in plate, but I am able to order all structurals (angle, channel and I-beam) as well as a good selection of rounds (up to 3") and flats. Square seems to be least available- only 1/2, 3/4 and 1" from what I could find.

As for forging the stuff, I haven't tried it yet, but I gave a couple cut-offs to a friend who teaches intermediate blacksmithing here locally. She was anxious to see how it forged and ran it through her coal forge. She said it forged wonderfully and forge welded even better (more like pure iron). Alloying elements include carbon, copper, sulfur, manganese, phosphorus, and chromium. I would like to hear from someone more expert on the subject whether there are toxicity issues when forging this particular alloy... It is expensive. Roughly 2 to 3 times the cost of mild steel in plate, and 3-4 times the cost of mild steel in structural shapes. I did not price out rounds, solids or squares.
-DB

David

Thanks for the information; much appreciated. Three times is three time more than I have! I guess England is a awfull lot wetter than West Coast US. I once nearly very nearly puruaded a customer to go for a rusty gate using very large sections of "normal " steel. They got cold feet in the end.

Like a lot of smiths I'm no fan of paint and am always trying to steer customers to bronze and/or electropolished stainless steel. I guess I'll do some experimenting with corten nand make a small sample gate to show them. As you say the word "rust" really is a four letter word.

Gates or stair railings in anodized titanium anyone?????

If I remeber right corten is usually mandatory for shipping containers in most cases

It also is used on ships in some cases im pretty sure you can find some scrap of it somewhere if needed
its pretty strong stuff as far as i know

david, your gates turned out great I pictured them looking different but my mind takes off on its own :blink:

now your off on the next project

maybe blacksmiths should advertise that they will throw in free electricity with the patina, :P

I have seen scientists in canada playing with metal and producing many colours from different metals pink i think from brass and a blue color from iron were the most interesting to me