I Forge Iron

My Gas Forge

K. Bryan Morgan

I got the 2 burner Blacksmith model from Diamondback Ironworks in North Carolina. Ordered it online and it showed up a week or so later. It's a good beginner model in my opinion. Easy to use and set up. Good directions included with the forge and I'm very happy with it.

Here's the link to the website.

http://www.diamondbackironworks.com/GOOGLE9e64d9483d5b3dca.html

Those are excellent forges. I think it will serve you well. A friend of mine uses broken fire brick ( the soft kind) to direct heat and make little chambers of supper hot. I think he runs it at about 7 psi for just under forge heat.

Thanks Bryan. I'm considering changing over to a propane forge for the ease of getting fuel and the cleanliness factor. Trying to gather a bit of info before I do so. Good Luck with your new forge!

Mark

Mark, be sure to add a CO/GAS monitor. Coal ya can smell gas ya can't.
If I drive any gas equip, mower ect into the shop the alarm goes off. Also watch for dragons breath ya may not see it but its there.
Ken

Mark, be sure to add a CO/GAS monitor. Coal ya can smell gas ya can't.
If I drive any gas equip, mower ect into the shop the alarm goes off. Also watch for dragons breath ya may not see it but its there.
Ken

I could not agree more Ken. Co will put your lights out in a hurry if your not careful. I have a CO/Co2 detector and I keep the door to the shed open for ventilation. That, along with the two dormer and many eave vents makes the shed safe.

I also run the forge at about 7 psi and have very good success with it. It's not a gas hog. I went to the fireplace store here localy and picked up a dozen fire bricks, the hard type, I use them under the forge and to close off the back door. It works very well. I also put 2 layers of Hardy board under the bricks for additional bottom insulation. Just a safety thing. It's on a plywood bench don't want to burn anything. One of my projects will be to fabricate a table/bench out of steel for it so that will no longer be an issue. All in all I could not be more happy with the forge.

• 2 weeks later...

It's working out very well. I would advise one thing though. Get the biggest propane tank you can afford to get. My little 30# tank freezes up after a couple of hours. I need to get a big bucket for it and put it in some water. From what I understand the 100# is what you really want.

I use the forge often and am only 1/2 way through the tank. I usually run it in the 7-10 psi range. I would estimate about 15 total hours on it so I'm happy with the amount the forge goes through. I just need a bigger tank.

Thanks for the advice. I had intended to use the smaller propane tanks that you can purchase and trade in at Wal-mart/Grocery stores around here. My intent was to keep two on hand at all times so when one runs out, I can hook up the 2nd and keep forging and trade in the other at my convenience. Is that a bad plan? of course, if one freezes up, I've got the 2nd that I'm good to go on.

Mark