I Forge Iron

Nazel, Fairbanks and Beaudry Hammers

New user name for you: "Captain Psycho Babble"!

I like!

Might well use it, but kinda think it might be handing my "fans" a weapon to get me banned. NOt that I need any help, I'm usually quite good at doing that all by myself. Hey, I can even tie my shoe laces up myself.

Still tempted to use it though.

oops ...... nearly forgot to say psychobabble

YD,If you`re going for the record let me know now and I`ll stop using up my quota of pluses on you every day.

As far as Thomas goes,he asked us to give him negatives as a way to protest the rating thing(which he`s against).

Anyway,no matter what your rep says,you`r still my favorite Pom,er,Limey,err,Reprobate-yeah that`s it,that`s the ticket!

Grant-You`re absolutely right about the real world reputation being what can make or break us.
I`ve seen and heard enough from both you and Larry to think highly of you both.
Contrary to what I just said to the Reprobate,I`m a skeptic and not easily won over.Show me don`t tell me.As I said earlier,actions speak far louder than words.
YD is kind of cute though isn`t he. :D

Always the best thing to do.

That said, did you read the original post that this all goes back to. It was only there for a few hours before Glenn pulled it. It was VERY revealing.

I did. I honestly don't see how charging a high price for something is wrong or even raising your price as you see fit. It is a pain it can seem unfair, but it is his property they are not making any more of these hammers. Its not like he is selling food in a famine zone . I personally don't do business like that and never would but there are people like that out there. If you don't like walk away and don't be afraid to. He was able to find another source for the part and now Wallace has lost a sale. But to make this all personal is just a wast of time. I really didn't understand the part about the first owner of the hammer. I don't see how responsibility transfers on a used piece of equipment from one owner to another when the original manufacturer is long out of business. I would never buy a used piece of equipment with out thoroughly checking it out first. If it was defective I would blame my self, it is my responsibility that's how i see it . Now that being said if the seller can't get it under power and it looks like it might have problems The price i am willing to pay goes down or I walk away. This all goes out the window if the seller is willing to give a written guarantee and I would hold their feet to the fire because I felt that was something I was paying for. People want to trust each other and should, but in business I say read the fine print and know what you are buying before you buy it. Do your homework when you buy used stuff think of it like you would a yard sale not a retail store.

YD is kind of cute though isn`t he. biggrin.gif

... said to the sound of spitting feathers ..... but I'm on a blacksmiths forum, aren't I supposed to be a "weapon obsessed beardie weardie swords and scorcery macho wannabe "outlaw" Conan the Barbarian type"wink.gif

Loving this thread but gotta get some chores done!

Didn't realise what what a bottomless pit of time this this forum stuff is. Kinda quite addictive.

I did. I honestly don't see how charging a high price for something is wrong or even raising your price as you see fit. It is a pain it can seem unfair, but it is his property they are not making any more of these hammers. Its not like he is selling food in a famine zone . I personally don't do business like that and never would but there are people like that out there. If you don't like walk away and don't be afraid to. He was able to find another source for the part and now Wallace has lost a sale. But to make this all personal is just a wast of time. I really didn't understand the part about the first owner of the hammer. I don't see how responsibility transfers on a used piece of equipment from one owner to another when the original manufacturer is long out of business. I would never buy a used piece of equipment with out thoroughly checking it out first. If it was defective I would blame my self, it is my responsibility that's how i see it . Now that being said if the seller can't get it under power and it looks like it might have problems The price i am willing to pay goes down or I walk away. This all goes out the window if the seller is willing to give a written guarantee and I would hold their feet to the fire because I felt that was something I was paying for. People want to trust each other and should, but in business I say read the fine print and know what you are buying before you buy it. Do your homework when you buy used stuff think of it like you would a yard sale not a retail store.

Yeah, I'll go with a lot that.

What really got my goat wasn't so much the busines side of things (2 sides to every story), it was the bullying tone of "attack" in the letter, that is to Mr Monster, other people in the hammer world and geeks like me on this forum.

I am going to tread lightly here and chose words best I can

First off. I agree. It's his stuff, it's hard to come by and he can ask what ever he wants and has the right to change is price how he
sees fit

The original purchaser of the hammer has nothing to do with my part. I knew what I was buying. I knew what problems it had. He spent $11,000 ( his figure ) after buying the hammer to get it in operation condition. After completely rebuilding the hammer the ram broke do to a cascading failure (his fault) after less than 50 hours of use. He had bought another hammer in the mean time and was tired of dealing with it so I bought it as a basket case. I repaired the ram and did the best I could with less than desirable results. I sent the whole hammer to Bob Bergman to see what could be done. Bob felt like all the failures, issues and repairs on the ram made it better to look at building a new or finding a replacement ram. I told him I had spoke to Bruce and he had a spare that came with my machine for sale. Bob called Bruce to ask him about it and after talking about it I told Bob to go ahead and Buy the ram at the current asking price of $2230 with shipping. I felt like even though it was more than previously quoted it as still the most sensible move

None of these things are the "fault" of Wallace Metal Works

My friend who bought the hammer should have inspected prior to purchase. I should have had him buy the ram for $750 when I had the chance.

Did Wallace metal works do anything wrong? I don't think so. Would I do business with him in the future? I don't think so.

The statement I made that started all of this was that he was not helpful. To me a helpful person goes out of there way to, well. Help. They do more than you would expect

I was not wronged nor robbed Nor lied too. I found many people who went out of there way to assist in getting the hammer back on line...

I can't really say much other than that, it's how I felt. It's how I still feel. I'm sure there are plenty of folks that can say the same thing about me. I can't always solve there problem in the way they think I should. Nor would I many times given the chance

Pretty simple rules;
1-Say what you mean.Mean what you say.
2-Have only one face(makes life easier)
3-If you screw up(and you will)be man enough to admit it and offer an honest apology.
4-Learn from your mistakes
5-Look people in the eye and speak what you know to be the truth
6-never stop listening or learning

BTW-This is a living document and subject to additions at any time as need be.

The important thing is,

LARRY`S BACK!!!!

Good to see you buddy!

All the rest of that other stuff is trivia compared to this. :D

Just one question.How`d you make that sentence so long?I had to scroll WAY over to read it all.

LARRY`S BACK!!!

I fixed the sentence.

Cool! That would make you a "Psychobabblonian"

"Damnit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a Psychobabblonian"!

now that there is funny!

Should I also mention Grant wasn't very helpful getting the 3b fixed either? I must have told him more than once if he came and fixed it I'd let him play with it.... I guess that's not really fair though because he did help the original owner. Dang it!