I Forge Iron

Why hire a crane?

Frosty

Yeah I HEAR you re the armour.

The convenient thing about the boom arm is you don't have to plan ahead regards booking etc, it's always there and usable if site conditions change or you unexpectedly need it.

It's this flexibility that always makes me lean towards buying toys tools rather than hiring them ('cept for really big kit) if the cost isn't a vast amount more than the hire charge, even for a one off use. It's kinda useful having them for the future because it adds to the repertoire of what your workshops capable of.

For myself, instead of renting a cherry picker, or should I say wishing I could rent one, I usually rent an excavator or "Sky lift" (off road forklift) either will lift anything I need lifted, if not. . . Well, lets just say I can rent a mighty BIG excavator.

.... as big as the Terex RH400 below. smile.gif

post-11205-12684049992515_thumb.jpg

Frosty, Where was the Cat when you had it out with the BIRCH. Grin
Ken

Not surrounding my lazy behind is where it was. <sigh> I did do quite a bit of land clearing with an excavator once I discovered how much faster and easier it is. Just walk it up to the tree and push it over, the ground guy cuts the roots free as I'm pushing over another tree. As the ground guy starts getting close to the end I walk it back and start picking and stacking the logs and roots, then start pushing over another row of trees. With just two of us working we cleared the better part of about 3/4 acre in about 2 1/2 hours.

Normally I wouldn't spend the money to rent an excavator just for a few cords of firewood but my stratagy has changed. You betcha! Heck, I was working for an equipment rental outfit when I tried catching the falling tree with my head! <SHEESH!>

Frosty the lucky.

.... as big as the Terex RH400 below. smile.gif

post-11205-12684049992515_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid I don't think anyonw would rent me a RH400 even if I could afford the daily and delivery on it. . . Still.

you're right about having a street legal jib boom, it's a LOT more convenient than trying to use an excavator in someone's yard. Poor lawn. :unsure:

Frosty the Lucky.

I'm afraid I don't think anyonw would rent me a RH400 even if I could afford the daily and delivery on it. . . Still.

Frosty the Lucky.

Often wondered how they deliver something like that to site. Don't tell me they drive that down public roads! They can't exactly drive it onto the back of a low loader either. Do they bring it as a pile of bits and assemble it on site? The grease stored on those things probably weighs way more than my Landrover.

Often wondered how they deliver something like that to site. Don't tell me they drive that down public roads! They can't exactly drive it onto the back of a low loader either. Do they bring it as a pile of bits and assemble it on site? The grease stored on those things probably weighs way more than my Landrover.

Try this;
Dragline Excavator
AndrewOC

I'm thinking they're pretty specific pieces of equipment, say for Joe's bauxite mine and don't get moved much if ever once delivered to the site. Then again, who's going to stop them if someone drives one down a public road?

You're probably right, Landrovers are pretty light. :rolleyes:

Frosty the Lucky.

....light dainty and nimble ?

Something like that. Here in Alaska we figure any vehicle it only takes two people to roll back up on it's wheels is light.

Don't worry though, the guys attracted to dainty and nimble are usually pretty well behaved. Of course if it's shiny too. . . :o

Frosty the Lucky.

Sam are we talking about the same thing? Picture shows what I've always called shear legs, could be using the wrong term?

post-11205-12683417656665_thumb.jpg

I'd call that a tripod, Shear legs are an A-frame, where you lean them at an angle and attach the load to the apex, anchor the bottoms of the legs and pull the whole thing upright. The load rises and swings inward. Or: the frame is secured at an angle and a pulley at the top is used to lift the load.I'm probably wrong but I think the salient point is directing the force down the angled legs.

Sorry, but I'm using the wonderful innovation of the broad band enabled pub to write this!

I deal with a local crane company a lot. A 600 ton crawler crane with a non-luffing jib and full superlift requires about 30 semi trailers to bring it to site and 2 200 ton cranes to assemble it. The 1375 ton crane requires about 58 semi trailers to haul it.

I regularly see semi trucks hauling 2 tires as a whole load for the Cat 797 dumptrucks to the oil sands. Most of these trucks are hauled to site in pieces on rail cars from the factory.

We used to use a fleet of trucks the size of small modern locomotives to move drilling rigs from one location to another.The front tires on the larger tandems and gin trucks were 6 feet tall easy.I was six foot tall and I had to throw things up onto the bed then walk to the cab and climb a set of rungs to get up there too.
Rigs are made to break down into large truck sized loads but it still took a couple of days and a lot of trucks to move a medium sized one.
When the next location was within line of sight we would skid the rig for Magic Drilling with the derrick still standing and draw-works in place.
One large tandem on each leading corner to lift with a dozer attached to the tandem`s front bumper to pull(these bumpers are made of heavy plate and heavy wall pipe to push/bump things into alignment).One or two dozers(depending on terrain)pushing on each trailing corner.
Once you got it moving it was a cake walk unless the bridle broke and you dropped it.
We did that once too.