I Forge Iron

New to the Forum, Hello

Hello,

I just wanted to say hello and introduce my self, as I'm new to the forum.

Back in November, I was cooking dinner and had the thought to get into blacksmithing. My inspiration was frankly a set of forged kitchen knives that I've had for years and would eventually like to expand. That night at dinner, I told my wife that I was thinking about getting into Blacksmithing. She placatingly said “sure honey,” unaware that I was quite serious. Well 3 months later, I've acquired an Anvil, ~130lbs Vulcan A&H, 3 hammers, a set of wolfjaw tongs and built my forge.

Over the last 3 months, I've also set up some goals. The first major project that I would like to complete is a wrought iron stand/post for my mailbox I would like to start on it sometime in the next 6months or so, but it really depends on how my skill level progresses. I also plan on making my own kitchen knives, understanding that it will take several years, or more, to build up the skill and experience to make something that is both functional and looks good. To build my skill up, I plan on making as many tools as I can. I know I can probably buy them for cheaper than I can make them, counting labor, but since I don't have an experienced blacksmith to learn from hands on, I think I will learn more about the trade by making a lot of these things my self.

Here are a few pictures of my forge. The shell is made from an old SS beer keg. I used 3 inches of 2600 degree rated ceramic wool covered in a heat reflective clay. Plistex I think, I picked it up form Larry Zoeller. The interior of the forge is ~ 7.5” in diameter, and 20 inches long. The inside volume is close to 900CI. I'm using 2 reil burners, and was originally concerned with getting to forge welding temp, but I've since verified that I can. I think the reason is because I'm both at sea level, and in a rain forest. The O2 level is higher here compared to a non rainforest environment.

Inside%20forge%2010psi.jpg
outside%20forge%2010%20psi.jpg
Forge%20on%20Cart%20front.jpg
Forge%20on%20Cart%20side.jpg

Anyway, let me know what you all think.

WELCOME,

YOU ARE WELL ON YOUR WAY FOR ONLY A FEW MONTHS. THERE IS ALOT OF KNOWLEDGE ON THIS FORUM AND VERY HELPFUL PEOPLE HERE. READ UP ON THE THINGS YOU WANT TO MAKE AND THEN PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS BLACKSMITHING AS MUCH AS I DO.MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN!!!!
GAYLAN

Good to see another denizen of the greatland aboard!

Have you checked Craigslist locally? There was a large Peter Wright anvil, 350lbs if I recall correctly for sale reasonably in Juneau.

Shoot me a message on the side if you like, I'm president (rather amusing story behind THAT bit of oddness :blink:) of the Association of Alaskan blacksmiths, I'll send you a subscription invite to the club E-mail list. I know it'd be cheaper to fly to oh say New Mexico than anchorage but we're putting together a hopefully worthwhile clinic for late July. Then there's the iron pour in late June.

You DID say you like HOT metal . . . Yes? You ain't alone brother! B)

Frosty the Lucky.