I Forge Iron

Simple Guillotine Tool

Fe-Wood

I needed a Guillotine Tool to make some 90 degree bends today. So I looked at the stock I had and came up with this. If I tried real hard, I could stretch the production time to about 1 hour... Maybe.

I only took the one picture but I started with .75x1.5 hot roll, all out of square and everything. I cut 4 pieces at 6" long. These became the frame, "V" tool and base. Then I cut 2 pieces of .25x1 to 2.625". these became the top sides.
The rounds are .5 or .625 (I never measured it) I placed these to use for the 90 bend supports. I will weld them up better later, I wanted to be sure it worked first. With the steel hot and using the tool with the "v" point, This setup bends .25x1" easily in 3 hits and a little truing up in the vice. I made the tenoning tool while I was at it, but haven't tried it yet. The other "V" block is for 2 bends that are very close to each other. I included a picture of the parts I made to.

They are made out of mild steel but if I work everything hot, it should last for a while.....Can't afford the press yet :( (Bought a lathe instead) :)

post-6253-12675143585576_thumb.jpg

post-6253-12675143872424_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys-
Yes, it is tracked with a machined slot about 1/8" deep.

Fi is fine! Fo is forever lost in the forest of fortune and Fum is fumbling around in the dark looking for a fumar to share with his bro Fe. Thanks for asking FCE!