I Forge Iron

grinding advice

inuroku842

I've gotten to the point where I now need a grinder, but I'm not sure what one to get. Will a variable speed grinder help me out in the long run at all or will it be more hassle than it's worth? Should I just go with a cheap 40 dollar single speed walmart grinder or what? Does it matter?

howdy, all i have is single speeds.i have a 4 x 36 belt with a 6" disc about a 100$ at lowes,but at the time they had a 6 x 48 with a bigger motor on it. but what you need to look for is belt avalibility, if $ isn't an issue look at the KMG grinder. lots of options out there, but i'd say get what you can afford and have fun.but wide belts sean to work better for me in keeping the bevel the same,aqny way have fun and best of luck,jimmy

A variable speed will definitely help you in both the short and long run. Slower speeds are the key for post heat treating grinding/polishing work - helps keep the heat down. Higher speeds can be used for the rough work after forging. If you want to use the grinder to shape handle material then variable is definitely the way to go - some materials requires slower speeds to lesson the chance of leaving scorch marks.

If you decide to go with a variable speed then stay away from the Delta bench grinders.
All the woodworkers I know who bought them said they had both bearing and electrical problems.
Most replaced them with either a Baldor or a Delta low speed model.

If you are doing just blades and grind alot after heat treat then you may want to look at a Tormec low speed water bath grinder.No need to worry about ruining the temper with one of those.Jet also makes a more affordable copy of the rather pricey Tormec.

If you are going to be doing blades you want to stay away from the cheap small grinders that basically are for wood or light duty sharpening.

You will want one that uses a 2"x72" belt as they come in all grits imaginable from individual boulders tacked to the belt to stuff you would swear they forgot to grit the belt before they sent it.

It will need a substantial motor (and one way to check is to look at the motor supplied or required. If it's below 1hp it is probably NOT suitable.)

This is one place where high quality tools really help you out.

So I would need to get a grinder that uses a belt instead of a regular wheel for blade work? I'm not trying to form the entire blade with just the grinder, for those were asking, it's for after forge work and post heat-treating. But from what you guys were all saying, spend the extra money and go for one that uses a belt? What is the difference between using a belt and the stone wheel?

Differences between belt grinders and stone grinders

Belts are cheaper than stones and come in a wider variety of grit sizes
" " easier to change than stones and you just have to maybe adjust tracking rather than balance and true it like a stone.
Belts grind cooler than stones under the same pressure and grit size.
A belt sander usually has more and better access to the area where the grinding is taking place
A belt sander`s radius can be varied by changing the contact wheel.With a stone grinder you are stuck with the stone size.
If you decide to use them,jigs are available for belt grinders as well as a lot of different tool rests.Stone grinders have a much more limited variety but you can get around this by fabbing your own bases.
You can make or buy a powerful variable speed belt grinder usually for a lot less than a powerful variable speed stone grinder.

Most stone grinders are cheap.
Stones last longer than belts(usually)

I`m sure others will think of additional points both pro and con.

ahh, ok. so can anyone point me in the direction of a decent belt grinder? i've seen the kmg grinder and the radius one, but is there anything a little less expensive than the kmg?
also, what can i use the slack belt for, or should i not use slack belt to grind?

This post is good for us newbes.. I bougt a Coote http://www.cootebeltgrinder.com/ I wish now that i had not be so cheep and got the 8" or 10". But for $475 /shipping and a cupple other goodes. I will keep it. But I am going to buld that noweld grinder. and weld some. Oh yes Mr. Powers 99.999% of what you have said I have found to be SPOT ON.