I Forge Iron

Ironworker modified for hot work

David E.

Has anyone used the punching station on their ironworker for hot work? Either punching and drifting, perhaps in one operation,if so ,what mods did you make to the punch,clearance etc?
Or how about converting the punch to a press for pattern welding by replacing the die with a blank and using a flatter as a top tool. The limit switches would come in real handy to prevent overload and give a uniform surface. Anyone tried it? ideas? or is it a non starter.
David

I've done it, but... I have an Edwards 55, has a station for bolt on tooling that I've made some hot press parts for but I'm not thrilled with it for the following reasons. First, it's in the wrong part of the shop, by the stock racks and saws and fab tables rather than handy to the forge. I could move it but why bother with the power hammers right by the forge. Second, hot pressing generates a HUGE amount of scale, and I didn't like it getting into the nooks and crannies of the ironworker, scale is immensely abrasive. Third, ironworkers are designed for cold work, none of the hoses or cylinders are guarded or shrouded to prevent a fire in the event of a leak. Again, if there was no other option I suppose I could cover everything. Finally, the throw of the ram on the station really limits the hight of tooling and stock that could be reasonably worked. If all you want to do is a basic squish it can be done, but I'd build a stand alone unit like a lot of the knifemakers use.

I pretty much ruined a 50 ton Edwards ironworker using the punch station to forge with.. the side loads generated by forging where not forces the engineers accounted for and over a few months use created so much slop in the punch end that you could not repeatedly cold punch a hole... expensive lesson learned. Its cheap to build a dedicated forging station... you could even add a circuit to your ironworker to use its powersupply.... but I would not use it to do the hot work..

Thanks all for taking the time to reply, all good points. I have a Kingsland hydraulic which is pretty much under used, I can cut and punch enough stuff in 1 week to do a years production,great tool. It was mostly curiosity about the tooling needed to punch and drift mortices or hammer eyes if it was feasible. I have the gear to build a 20 ton hyd press but have not got round to it, it was setting the limit switches the other day which got me thinking could I punch as I would on the anvil, then turn over and finish, or would I need to use a bolster as I would punching cold on the ironworker, and use a pointed tool to punch and drift in 1 operation using a lube, might still lead to stripping problems.
I would not use it for forging Larry, I have a Sayha, but thanks for your advice, that was an expensive lesson.The collective advice seems to be,forget it,which seems sound. I had better not mention my idea to use it for upsetting :lol:
David

Cleveland Steel Tool does make a set of punches and dies for hot punching leaf springs.

They also make tooling for just about any brand of ironworker, either as a stock item or custom made for your application.

Thanks for that link.