I Forge Iron

Miriatic Acid

Fe-Wood

I've got about 2 gallons of used 50/50 Miriatic Acid and Water I need to exchange for new. I've been using it to clean Copper and it has lost most of its cleaning power and now deposits a red oxide on the surface. I'm assuming the red came from the steel tongs I was using to handle the Copper until I made some Stainless ones.

Any suggestions? The liquid is Very Green and I'm sure toxic.

Dump some lime, or baking soda into it to neutralize any remaining acid. After that, you can let it dry out, after which it is safe to toss into the trash.

Be very careful about 'dumping' lime or baking soda into two gallons of Muratic Acid - a 50/50 solution will react violently and be all over the place before it's all neutralized - don't ask me how I know th_redface.gif. Just add a little at a time and wait unitl each reaction subsides before adding more.

Be very careful about 'dumping' lime or baking soda into two gallons of Muratic Acid - a 50/50 solution will react violently and be all over the place before it's all neutralized - don't ask me how I know th_redface.gif. Just add a little at a time and wait unitl each reaction subsides before adding more.

Very true. An acid + base reaction will give you salt and water, but it is quite an exothermic reaction. You could dilute the acid down quite a ways with water, then add baking soda, weakening the acid. This would be similar to the baking soda and vinegar reaction that kids use in their home-made volcanoes.

• 1 month later...

Just a safety note.
You should always refer to an MSDS.
Other than that, I think that anyone handling such materials should equip themselves with pH paper, and as noted before some soda ash or lime, kind of like a spill kit.

Does acid's capability reduce with use? Specifically, what I'm using it for, Cleaning oxidation off Copper? Reason I ask is- when I raised this question the solution was leaving a red oxide film on the copper and taking a long time to remove scale. Now it seems to be working fine again, removing the oxide from heating. I'm curious what happened. Only change is that some of the water evaporated and I'm no longer putting mild steel in the solution- I made stainless tongs.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got about 2 gallons of used 50/50 Miriatic Acid and Water I need to exchange for new. I've been using it to clean Copper and it has lost most of its cleaning power and now deposits a red oxide on the surface. I'm assuming the red came from the steel tongs I was using to handle the Copper until I made some Stainless ones.

Any suggestions? The liquid is Very Green and I'm sure toxic.

Acid copper can be used to quick plate steel for a copper look or to identify steel from stainless, nickel or other steels by the quick plating.

• 2 months later...

Or offer it for adoption on local Freecycle group: :)
One person's trash is another's treasure.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/California/Grass%20Valley

Hello, fellow iron bashers!

This is to all who were involved in this thread, fantastic quests, and answers.
This to Anvilflower, first cool handle!
Second, Yes.....it may well have a secondary use, and if dried it'l
take up less space for when a possible use or experiment comes to mind.
Just as I began to navigate through the reply area I noticed someone
mentioning plating use, this was my first thought too.
With all that copper in it, save it, maybe it can be converted or used in self plating (on iron) as a pre treatment for further copper plating.

Cordially, M. Visser