I Forge Iron

Ever heard of Hardox 400?

CBrann

I was looking for something on my steel dealers website today, and there was a link for the Hardox steel plate.

It seems to be wear resistant and durable... from Sweden I think... the videos are good.. they show guys tryihng to demolish a container made out of this stuff.

I am not a huge consumer of steel, so I am a little hesitant to ask my dealer about it..

here is the link for the videos...

http://www.midcitysteel.com/hardox.html

also the url for my dealer...

ideas? comments?

Cliff

Comments? Yes it's been very wet weather out here lately.

(you don't give any hint about what kind of comments you are looking for. Usability?---It's great stuff or lousy stuff depending on *what* *you* are interested in it for!

Making "containers", probably good

Making knives probably bad

Making ornamental stuff probably bad

I don't know if forging it changes it's properties or if it requires specialize heat treat afterwards.

I see I was unclear in my looking for comments.

I am curious to know:

If anyone has ever used or abused it.

If it might make good tools.. texture, sets, etc (if a large piece would make a good small portable anvil)

If there are "off market uses " for it.

How it responds to blacksmith manipulation.

Comments of that nature..

I did a search and came up with a data sheet.. but do not know enough to understand it
http://alta-steelco.com/Hardox/Hardox%20400.pdf (the hardox website itself was down)

or is it not worth my time to think about?

from the data sheet it is .14 to .32 carbon, and does say that its properties are from being quenched, and that temps over 480F (250C) "may then lose it good properties"

thanks for looking
Cliff

That data sheet seems to state that Hardox is an alloy steel that is specifically heat treated after rolling. Raising to forging temperatures removes the heat treat properties, and would require another round of heat treat to get those properties back.

If you have some as scrap, play with it. I would choose to not buy this for general forging. I suspect that someone who knows more will look at the chemical analysis and say "this is a form of XXXX."

Phil

Low to medium carbon, chrome, Ni, Moly...abrasion and impact resistant.

Sounds like it would work for tooling that you don't need to forge to shape ("Good weldability"). You may want to compare it to the AR400 and AR500 steels. I find it interesting that it's spec changes with *thickness* rather than going to a different name.

I don't think I would buy any new but I might buy scrap if I was offered some in a useful size/shape.

• 3 years later...

("Good weldability"). yea right you hve to pre-heat to weld this stuff, and its a XXXXXXXX to cut with a grinder. So I recon if you have a resonable(semi-industrial) think Monster Metal's setup its very nice stuff (not cheap mind you) if you are working from your garrage maybe not so nice.

BTW. it makes great gun safes. & hardox 400 comes at just over 70RC from the merchant.

• 2 weeks later...