I Forge Iron

Bridgeport Mill

Jim S

In regards to the 3 phase motor you have a couple of options.

#1- phase converter , go with a rotary as opposed to a static type. A good rotary converter can also be used to run other equipment. A lot of 3 phase equipment goes inexpensively at small auctions because it is 3 phase. The converter I have now will start up to a 15HP motor, and run a combined 60HP. Didn't really need one that big, but it will give me 50% output on my 650 MIG which is 3 phase. All that may be a moot point since I have 480 3 phase available to my property - that is when I can afford the $12K to have the wiring run across the street :blink: . $7K of that is the transformer alone. In the mean time the converter will get wired up. A converter for what you are doing will run about what a new motor will for the mill.

#2-run a jack motor. This is what I did at home after I closed my shop. All you need is another 3 phase motor that is at least, but preferably larger than what you want to run. Easy to do, and relatively inexpensive to free depending on where you get the other motor. With this method you only get 2/3 rated output on the motor being driven. With that being said I have yet to lug my mill (Bridgeport clone), Clausing 10"x16" surface grinder, or my 18.5"x54" Monarch lathe, even under heavy cuts.

Thank you all for your comments. I think you are right and that my mindset has the head screwed up when I have no support for same other than the fact that I can't make the spindle turn and have been unable to effect this by moving various levers. My experience with the Bridgeport is obviously limited. I also don't want to disassemble the head any more than I have to if I get a hint that things will work without same. Right now I can do nothing until I have some free time next week. Thanks for your insights. No doubt I will be asking further questions next week.
Jim