I Forge Iron

First fire in a loooooooong time

Well, I finally did it. I lit the forge for the first time in close to 20 years. I had drug it out and started arranging things last summer, after letting it sit since I brought it down from the folks estate in 2005. Last year I bought out one estate sale, and a farrier who was hanging up his hammer, but it still sat cold. Not sure what sparked me to get it lit, but I did. Tossed in a RR spike, and wailed away on it to get the feel of things again. Made a sparkler of the first one by not paying attention to my heat :P The second one became a sortahawk. After those two exercises I grabbed a piece of 3/8" round stock and started a BBQ fork for a friend of mine. Did a flared flat scroll at the top, and got a couple of sections of squared up reversed twisting before my neighbor invited me over for dinner. Being a single guy, I don't refuse a free dinner often ;) It all started to come back after all of those years.

Dad was my smithing partner, and much more to me. I sure could have used him a couple of times yesterday, as I only have two hands. This August it will be 10 years that I lost him. Guess it was just time to start again.

Thanks guys.

It feels good to get back into this more than just talking about it. After Mom died in 2003 I decide that there wasn't anything keeping me in CA any longer. I wasn't really happy with how my life had gone to that point, and figured I needed a big change. To start my life over, and to be the person that I had always wanted to be,I moved to where I am now. New state, new friends, new job, new everything. It has been a little slow in coming, due to some heavy self doubts, but I am getting to where I want to be. That little step of firing up the forge, and making something, helped to alleviate some of the doubts I have had in myself. Weird, because I know I have the talent, I just haven't used it. When I was younger I never hesitated to start something new, be it tanning a fresh road kill skunk, or making some contraption with surplus parts. My mind never stopped, but my hands did. Hmmmm where's UnicornForge to analyze this thread? :D

Hopefully I can finish the fork Thursday after work , so I can give it to my friend this Friday.

Making a run to CA tomorrow 0 dark thirty, gonna be a loooong day tomorrow, and about 900 miles :blink: Got 3,000# of copper, and brass scrap to drop off, and new material to pick up, so I better get rested up for the trip.