I Forge Iron

Biggest Anvil Collection in the country?

Dear All,

I think the reason that some people are uncomfortable with someone having a large number of anvils (or any other type of tool) is that there is a fundamental difference between tools and other things some people may collect like coins or stamps or china widgets. The difference is that an anvil can be used by someone else and meet the reason of why it was created. If it is not in use it is not achieving the purpose for which it was manufactured. This is different than, say, a painting or other work of art. The owner or collector will be getting the effect of what the artist was trying to accomplish. The large collection of unused anvils is more like the paintings which are just put in a vault for investment purposes and not displayed. As an object both an unused anvil and an unviewed painting is somehow incomplete.

Utilitarianly,
George M.

Yes, thanks Frank. I had admired the photos of this collection when it was first posted almost 3 years ago. I had almost forgotten about it. (not really ;) ) I haven't been back to New Mexico since I lived there in the early eighties and may never get the chance. So I do appreciate seeing more of Mr. Moore's collection via you pics from your visit today. Thanks, again.

BTW, I still think this is a wonderful example of what can happen when very deep pockets and over-the-top OCD combine.

When I hit the lottery, I know right where to go. Back to NM !

I think the important thing to remember is that we all gather stuff that others will think we don't need. That "stockpile" of stuff outside the shop, some of it rusting away for years. That hundred and one hammers and tongs that are neatly organized but never used. It goes on and on.

The overwhelming majority of us don't "need" to blacksmith. We don't live by the trade. It doesn't pay our bills. We just enjoy it and spend our money on it. Mr. Moore is no different. The "clash" comes because he's collecting stuff we want! Don't hear anyone lamenting over someone with a million stamps or a thousand fishing lures..... but let them collect one anvil that they aren't going to use, and it's game on!

I applaud anyone exercising the freedom that this great nation affords them. Stockpile those beautiful anvils and tools. Give them a good home. Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to swing on in and buy something from this good fellow.

Oh Fred is well known around Quad State. He came for about 4 years and took home a 16' trailer full each year. The last time he was there he told me it was his last trip and we miss visiting with him. He always left on Friday, before the demonstrations even started. He left when the trailer was full. His son fussed and said that it is a long trip and he wanted to watch demonstrations.

That's an overwhelmingly impressive collection. It's a shame that all of those tools are just sitting there, doing absolutely nothing.

Yeah, that seems a real waste to me. I don't get it. BUt I guess if someone really wants an anvil they can get one. If nothing else just fork over the change to buy new.

Daniel C,

If I got my story right, Moore said that he picked up one huge, advertising, sheet metal anvil at Quad State one year, and that gave him the idea to make eight more, which he did. He sold six and has two left.

That reminds me of Tom Bredlow of Tucson, who in the old days, made a sheet metal anvil in a Hay-Budden shape, which if real, might have weighed 175 pounds.This was attached to the roof of his old pickup cab. He said that he got hollered at often with the warning that it would fall through and hurt him.

My reaction is decidedly mixed. I finally joined this group so I could look at the pictures (not these in particular) but I've been reading posts for a couple of years, and it seems every other day somebody posts pictures (which I couldn't see) of an anvil they just bought and they're often asking questions related to it's value as a collector's item rather than its value as a tool, so some of these posts seem a tad hypocritical. That said, I'm married to a woman with OCD out the wazoo, and we don't make nearly enough money to buy a warehouse to hold the stuff she collects/drags home: we just wallow in it unless I can sneak some of it out the back door. What money I do earn I stockpile in cash and blue chip stocks. That cash doesn't do anybody anygood, and loot is a tool just like an anvil. (Takes money to make money.) I think the bottom line is that almost every human on the planet lived hand-to-mouth until a few generations ago, but now the urge to gather and save (which served us well prior to electricity and supermarkets) can look like an illness unless you're loaded, in which case it just looks like greed. This feller has millions to invest and he chose anvils rather than gold or stocks. That's his right. Still, it seems kind of sick, especially to a guy who lives with a less-affluent woman with the same collecting bug.

My first post...How's that for a howdy do?

Pretty good, actually, Clinker Breaker. Articulate and thoughtful, a good beginning. Welcome!!

That new-fangled disease, Accumulitus, seems to hit all of us at one time or another. It is hard to know when you have crossed the line from owning stuff to stuff owning you, but other people can see it instantly. Some people seem to get over it on their own and have yard sales, some do not and leave it for the heirs to have an estate sale, or take to the dump.

Companies do this too, that is why the concept of Lean Manufacturing came into being. That movement has caused it's own set of problems, the discussion of which do not belong here.

It has created a whole new class of business: mini-storage units and mobile pods to hold your excess junk, trainers who will come to your warehouse (or condo) and show you how to de-clutter, cleaners who will send a whole crew and a roll-back to you. And, of course, Reality TV shows.

The difference between crazy and eccentric is about a million bucks in the bank. ;)

The difference between hoarding and stockpiling is the willingness to share the bounty, like Stewart passing on anvils that he has found. It is not about how much you have, it is about how much you are willing to share, be it money, knowledge, or possessions.

Actually the slot on the side of the Fisher for the Blacker hammer is so that there an area where the edge of the top die and the edge of the bottom die would line up perfectly. The two large hardy holes are for tooling.

I used to own a Blacker that have been through a fire at another smith's shop right after it was totally restored---OUCH! I sold it to the Fisher Museum for the same price I had in it to keep it out of the scrapyard.

My main shop anvil is a Fisher blacker hammer anvil with the slot; not from the fire but from a RR shop in Columbus OH. It's how I learned about nesting sq tubing shims for the hardy holes as getting tooling with 1.5" hardy stems is a tad expensive...The first QS after I got it I was asking Postman about the odd slot in the side and he just laugh and told me to walk three sellers up and there was a blacker with the anvil on it!

As for giving my name to the local auctioneers, there is an implement auction 2 miles from my house that I have stopped going to---Fred Moore is related to them and has *much* deeper pockets!

Note that his anvils, vises and triphammers are all stored nice and dry in a place that I don't think can burn. Someday they will be back in play and NOT SCRAPPED OUT! So take a deep breath and sigh it out knowing the the young smiths will have their chance even if some of us old farts won't...

Anyone is welcome to collect whatever interests them, be it stamps, cars, airplanes, boats, guns, tattoos, military tanks, or even anvils. Those with more disposable income can collect more items, as well as those rare items in that subject field. As blacksmiths we collect scrap and put it in a pile, and whether it is in a pile or not it is still a collection, and at best, worthless scrap with a negative value to others or the neighbor.

If you want X amount of anvils, then open up the purse strings and buy them. If you want the big XXX pound anvil, then open up the purse strings and buy it. Can not find it on your own, then open up the purse strings and hire a headhunter or agent to find one for you. If you say it takes money then go out and earn the money.

Use what you have now to get to where you want to be.There are only a few blacksmith shops that were instantly unloaded off the truck and put into operation. All had to start somewhere, usually small, and one item was added at a time. As a business, each item or tool had to earn its keep in the shop. As a hobby, each item was added, one at a time, with disposable income gathered from not buying that pack of cigarettes, or packing your own lunch for work rather than eating out with the boys.

To fault someone for spending YEARS of their time and money to assemble a collection is short sighted. We should be happy that they have been able to enjoy the hunt for each item and display the results of their work. To call these folks names is beneath us. Everyone will have something we do not, and we will have something others do not. Do not cast shadows upon someone else's efforts Instead get up and get out and get to work to get that thing your desire. Such is life.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

• 4 weeks later...

I also agree with Glenn. I remember quite well the day I saw Fred's collection, and it wasn't feelings of anger or envy that I felt -- rather awe! It was an amazing experience -- I think Frank posting those pictures of his recent trip is evidence of this as well. Sure -- I'd love some of that stuff...I don't have a cone, don't have a swage block larger than half a loaf of bread, etc., etc., but I treasure what I do have, and acquired it bit by bit, purchase by purchase, over the course of going on twenty years now. Every anvil/shop/tool-collection has a story -- I don't much of Fred's, but I'm quite grateful he let me take a look!

Anyone who takes that many usable tools out of circulation purely for his own satisfaction should be strung up.

Almost all of them are for sale. They're a museum and an investment. I just bought a big Peter Wright from him. He won't sell his 707 lb P.W. but may his 525.

His money, his wants, his property. That's the bottom line, whether you like it or not. You have multiple steak knives, fork, etc that you don't "need". Are you being greedy for "hoarding" them? Seriously, folks, I've got a piece of rail for an anvil and you certainly don't see me whining about how someone has more. You don't need another anvil. So stop complaining and giving the guy grief over it.

Anvil ownership is not a democracy.  It is a ferrocracy, ruled by the fleet, the crafty, and the cash laden

And also those who want to preserve a bit of history.  My book on the Fisher Anvil Company will be complete in a while, as I study my collection and compile the company's history.  And I welcome anyone with an interest to visit(and this time of year buy a Christmas tree).

Josh, do you have a publisher or are you self-publishing, and can we pre-buy?  Eagerly awaiting your book!

No publisher yet.  I figure I have got to get the manuscript mostly done before I get to that step.  Crazy thing is that I have got to set a deadline sometime.  Interesting Fisher stuff is still out there.  Just like Postman found out as soon as his book was printed, more information will continue to appear.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll bet that all the folks selling new anvils and making new anvils are happy to see this collection. Just depends on which side of the fence you happen to be standing on.

Also, it was stated that he has many for sale. Why not go out there with a trailer and buy the ones for sale and have a traveling anvil shop back to the east or west coast? Let all these guys here who want to see  them in circulation know about your big sale and see if they will shake the dust out of their wallets to back their principles. Its his money. He is not hoarding food in a famine or vaccine during an epidemic. New and old anvils are easily obtained. From what was stated, he went several times to the quad state show to purchase anvils. He bought them on the open market from people wanting to sell. He wanted to buy. That's what makes the world go 'round.  As an old scrounger from way back, I have always been able to find an anvil, post vise, etc... when I wanted or needed one. Shake the bushes! 

For someone interested in researching and writing a book on anvils that would be a great place to go with so many anvils in one place. If published, most of us would be very happy to have the book and information in our hands. 

This is my first post. I am living and working in China and I have resurrected my interest in blacksmithing. I am putting a shop together over here. Try finding a good anvil here! And yes..... I am shaking the bushes!

Bob he is selling them at about twice the going price even out here. I guess if your local service station cornered the market and started selling gas for $8 a gallon it would be ok with you because of the same reasoning?

Shoot I'd be happy to sell you any of my anvils at $100 a pound + shipping.