I Forge Iron

Exploding oxygen cylinder

WOW! That's scary. Any idea what caused it? I like to know as to never see anything like that again. Maybe someone could post a good set of safty guide-lines. Have always wanted oxy-ac. in my shop, but second guessing that now. Have been waiting to get a formal class on use and safty. Now I'm thinking three to five classes. Any possible causes would help. David

WOW! That's scary. Any idea what caused it? I like to know as to never see anything like that again. Maybe someone could post a good set of safty guide-lines. Have always wanted oxy-ac. in my shop, but second guessing that now. Have been waiting to get a formal class on use and safty. Now I'm thinking three to five classes. Any possible causes would help. David

It looks to me like the guy tried to unscrew the valve that is factory mounted on top of the cylinder (do not attempt)
Reminds me of a story where this guy was attempting to trans fill a cylinder with similar results, he is no longer with us (dead) the gas in theses cylinders is at extremely high pressure 2200psi this can be dangerous, a basic welding class will teach you the safety on this subject, when properly handled oxy- acetylene is safe to work with don't let a bone head like this frighten you away from a very useful item

Thanks Gerald, Just got threw with a google search of welding classes in my area and found two schools right here in Danville,even looks like prevous math and blue-print classes will transfer credits. May be easier than I thought. Now I just have to be willing to be the oldest guy in class AGAIN May change my user-name to CAREER-STUDENT
David

Many years ago several of us were loading bag feed into our truck at the local mill when some one knocked over an unchained and uncapped oxy cyl in the maintaince shop across the yard.It punched a rather large hole thru the block wall,beat the snot out of the owners car as well as several more of the office staffs cars,then cartwheeled over a chain link fence
out into the street out of sight. all this took place in the blink of an eye. Two men working in the shop,both injured bad enough to require hospitalization . Each blamed the other,owner fired both. Made a lasting impression on me,still rember like yesterday and this was 42 years ago.
Lee from NYS the land of taxes