I Forge Iron

Mastercrafts BBC tv

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qnx50/Working_Lunch_02_02_2010/

Just to rub a bit of salt in the wounds, a quick bit of Blacksmithing turned up on Working Lunch you can see it starting at about 07:30 on BBC I player linked above.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qnx50/Working_Lunch_02_02_2010/

Just to rub a bit of salt in the wounds, a quick bit of Blacksmithing turned up on Working Lunch you can see it starting at about 07:30 on BBC I player linked above.

Hi Steve, emphasis on a quick bit, and I don't think Argos would be stocking their products, or catering for their clients either.

What was the outcome of the fan you were considering purchasing?

Hi Steve, emphasis on a quick bit, and I don't think Argos would be stocking their products, or catering for their clients either.

What was the outcome of the fan you were considering purchasing?

It was a bit quick wasn’t it? The whole piece made me smile for a number of reasons, not least the Argos bit, but it’s nice to see a mainstream business program touching on the crafts however badly executed. They talked to a Thatcher the following day and someone making stained glass the day after.

I’m still looking at the blower option; I found this one the other day. Anyone have an opinion on it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380174511872&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hi Steve, thats just previewing whats to come on the Mastercrafts series, I believe Do Barkers the star turn for the blacksmithing, I hope they concentrate on the forging rather than the picture/background/composition/fancy editing and what the producer thinks is blacksmithing.

With regard to the fan, yes that should work but I would think its a little on the light weight side,(48W) especially if you are wanting to run two forges off it, and is it rated for constant use or it may overheat, it looks like it will also need a cover over the motor.

I have one similar I use on a couple of small forges I run for demos and thats only 15watts, you got to have patience with it, but it will get to a welding heat for small items (eventually) depending on which of the forges I have it connected to

Hi John
Humm, sounds like I’ll just keep looking or maybe take a chance on the bouncy castle blower as a stop gap till something better comes along.

Re Mastercrafts, I have my fingers crossed they don’t spoil what could be an interesting and informative peek at our craft heritage, but, it is television, and we all know how easy it would be for some bright spark from the production company to have an idea that sends the whole thing backside upwards.

Don’t sit on the fence Sam, say what you mean. :D

I fear you will be right though, but if it sends some of those “urban halfwits” to a local Smith with pockets full of brass for the latest bit of must have ironwork it won’t be such a bad thing. Anything that tells the public and the powers that be, that traditional crafts are very much alive and kicking can only be a help to anyone working in a much underappreciated and misunderstood industry …maybe. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to give you all a quick reminder that this weeks Mastercrafts episode is the Blacksmith one broadcast on Friday at 9pm BBC 2.
It will be available on BBC I player shortly after.

I have watched both of the first two programs, Green woodworking and Thatching and have enjoyed them both. I would have liked to see a little more emphasis on the craft and maybe a little less on the novices, but that is only a minor niggle as both programs were at least as far as I’m concerned very informative and beautifully shot and produced. I have my fingers crossed that the next one will be as good as the first two.

I also have a foot in the Green woodworking camp and many of the people who run courses have said that there has been a noticeable rise in enquiries and bookings for courses as a direct result of the program.

Steve.

well despite sams warning and my better instinct i am going to come out of tv retirement for this show - so it better be worth it! have a feeling that it will be as sam says but who knows - if it raises the profile of the craft as something difficult and that you need to pay good money for then thats ok - even if we have to listen to Dons version.... :)

Well, overall I enjoyed it because it was about smithing. It was good to see Bob Hobbs again,a gentleman and a master of his craft,I always enjoyed being in Bob's company. I did have a giggle when he awarded 1st prize to the chap that Don Barker had just described as having completely lost the plot :lol: yes it was simplistic and would be easy to spot the mistakes but I would watch more.
Sam,told you it would suit me down to the ground, :D

I tend to mentally switch off as soon as anything becomes 'life changing' or a 'journey'. It would have been more entertaining if they asked the cannon fodder to make the frames rather than the infill.
It's interesting to see that electric welding is now considered acceptable.
Monty Don's still an ignorant to***r though!

I hope this programme has shown what can be acieved in a short period of time by absolute beginners, and encouraged current practiotioners to consider entering the metalwork competitions at the shows,

See details at www.blacksmithscompetition.co.uk

It was interesting to see that judged on the WCB's scorecard system, the first place was awarded to the chap that Don Barker had just described as having completely lost the plot. Which just proves the objectivity of the current judging system 20 years or so ago and if it did not contain all the stereotypical forged elements, an artistic entry would have not made such an impression.

For anyone interested there is a NBCC Judges Seminar to be held at Hereford College’s Holme Lacy campus on March 20th from 10.00 am to approx 4.30 pm there will be a buffet and refreshments I am told.

This is an opportunity for anyone remotely interested in the blacksmith competitions held at shows, and can be thoroughly recommended as a most useful event. The programme will consist of talks and discussions, with practical examples, being led by people experienced in the various situations. Previous seminars have been very enlightening

What is not covered is the fantastic marketing opportunity these shows present for those entering them, with between 80,000 to in excess of 250,000 people attending the shows they represent a unique low cost marketing opportunity, and they are also places to pick up practical blacksmithing tips, make new friends and enjoy yourself. Go to the seminar, and see what’s involved

It could have been better but then again it could have been a lot worse. I agree that Monty Don is a bit of a tool but hey, he's helping to raise the crafts profile so don't burn his house down. I laughed at the bit where a hot cut was left in the hardy and was surprised that the cockney lad scored so poorly but one mans taste is not another's.
Overall it was an enjoyable show and entertaining, which is what telly is all about right?
John B, is that convention free or does it require a ticket? If I can make it over there (no transport per seh) I'd like to, if only for the chance to network and meet up with folks