I Forge Iron

Propane forge difficulties

Bluedemon62

I recently purchased a propane forge and hooked it up to an LP tank, I became worried when I noticed flames shooting out of the mouth, should this be? As im just starting out and have no prior experience, I had no idea what to expect and im unsure if thats how it should be(and im guessing it is), or if it should have a uniform, concentrated flame???

I run from 5-10 psi normally, the Dragon breath is worse when flux is put in, or if I get some flammable material like paper in it. I got some LONG tongs to pull stuff to the porch to remove with the tongs I am working with. I also wear a left welding glove more than a right.
Phil

I recently purchased a propane forge and hooked it up to an LP tank, I became worried when I noticed flames shooting out of the mouth, should this be? As im just starting out and have no prior experience, I had no idea what to expect and im unsure if thats how it should be(and im guessing it is), or if it should have a uniform, concentrated flame???

As the others said some Dragons breath is to be expected, however if you are getting to much fuel and not enough air it will be much worse... When your burners are tuned properly and the forge is warmed up the flames should be very minimal

Paper, useful to try taking pictures of the breath, sawdust or charcoal dust works too. (my camera however did not capture what I wanted) I have also used paper for lighting the forge of slightly windy days, but I just use a propane plumbers torch now as it is easier and windproof. My plumbers torch has a piezio ignition on it.

I have a bunch of scrap with paper stuck on on the metal, decided to not try taking it off. Probably some nice glue there too. Glad I work outside.

Phil