I Forge Iron

Steel Weight Calculator/Slide Rule

Here's some pictures of my steel weight calculator/slide rule. The first one just shows the whole thing. The second is a close-up and I'll explain how it works. As you see, I've lined up 1" over "square". You can immediately see that it is equal to 1-1/8” round. Just above that shows you that it also equals .25 X 4 flat. Moving down to the second row, you can choose a length and find the weight 20” is a little more than 5-1/2 pounds. If I wanted to forge that from 1-1/2 inch round, I'd set 1.5 over round bar, go to the bottom and look at a little over 5.5 pounds and I know I needed to start with 11 inches.

http://img64.imageshack.us/i/weightcalc1.jpg/

http://img198.imageshack.us/g/weightcalc2.jpg/

what do you think would make a better lube for the power hammer??? owl poo or whale snot?

Now that thar is funny!

I wonder if we could get EMJ to produce a new handout like that... Probably not since EMJ seems to only supply material to industrial wholesale customers these days.... A very kewl gizzy....

Now that thar is funny!

I wonder if we could get EMJ to produce a new handout like that... Probably not since EMJ seems to only supply material to industrial wholesale customers these days.... A very kewl gizzy....

Get your hands on a Jorgensen "Blue Book" they are a great reference too.

Well, EMJ just bought them from The Graphic Calculator Co. in Barrington IL. I had some printed about 30 years ago with Seaforge Co. My business at the time. Can't locate them anymore, probably out of business. I've only got this EMJ and another Heppenstahl. You buy that one on Ebay, Larry?

I have a book called "Book of Tables for Forgers' which has tables which calculate how much material you need to need going from one size to another. You need to go to one table for a key number then use the key number in another table to get the length. This slide rule seems like it would be faster to use. So when are you going to have OCP slide rules made Grant?

Flexible or semi rigid solid plastic like some notebook covers are made from so water won't affect it would be great, printed so the markings are in the plastic and won't wear off. Stamped or engraved sheet metal would be awesome, but probably need a stiff price point.

At least something water resistant so if I spill a beverage on it, its not ruined.

Last get a final price of no more than $10, which may drive the material choice. Am I being too demanding?