I Forge Iron

Blade Steel supplier

I need steel for making knives and hawks and stuff like that. My problem is that the scrap yard closest to me doesn't sell their steel :angry: . The only scrap yard that I know of is about an hour away, which is not very practical for me. I have only made tomahawks from ball pein hammers and knives from rr spikes. I was trying to make more stuff other than that.

That is the way to go I buy my steel from Kelly. if you have an auto spring house near by that is a good place to buy 5160 that is a good steel for you to make a knife out of . it is not a good idea to use scrap for making knives it is best to use new steel and to know what you have so you know how to heat treat it. if you are new to knife making I would ask kelly for some 1065 we call it fool prof steel as it is very easy to get a good heat treat. quench at 1550 temper at 395. good luck

Is there a place locally that drops or jacks up cars/pickups? See if you can get some springs from them that come off a NEW car/truck and so not have the problems that old ones can have. A good coil spring cut down the sides into ))))) will make a lot of knives starting out! If there is a place that makes replacement springs you can often get "drops" for scrap price and so have known alloys, cheap.

• 4 weeks later...

You can also check places that sell and service wood working tools, planer blades are D2 I think. Make sure I'm not a bladesmith, I only make one now and then as necessary or desired.

Anyway, there are lots of commonly available tools and machines that have tool steel parts you can buy.

Another thought is to buy hand tools made from tool steel. Oh say Allen wrenches, they're darned tough and can be heat treated to hold an edge nicely. Same story for pawn shop or garage sale chisels, steel or wood chisels are both good steel.

So keep your imagination open along with your eyes, there are opportunities everywhere. Remember, fortune favors the prepared mind so do a little reading and get a handle on what stuff is made of. It helps, lots.

Frosty the Lucky.