I Forge Iron

Brass block plane

Andrew Smith

I am wanting to make a British infill block plane out of brass. I need a saw blade for my table saw to cut the finger joints in the brass. I figured this would be faster than filing it. :rolleyes: . I know that they make those kind of blades but I just don't know where to get them. The only ones I have seen are those black carbide blades.

Hi Andrew, In the past I've had pretty good luck with Lenox brand blades and they have a web site lenoxsaws I think. You may find something there. I've only used their steel cutting blades but seem to remember that they had blades for other metals. Hope this helps. David

Andrew-
Go to good and reputable saw sharpening shop. They will be able to set you up with a blade that can be used for hardwood as well as the brass or may I suggest bronze body of the plane. Most likely it will be a multi point, negative rake, 80 plus tooth blade, depending on saw blade diameter. Be prepared to spend anywhere from $50 to $120 for it. In this case, quality does matter because you are spinning a blade very fast and heat build up will be an issue. I've never done deep long cuts in brass, only 1/8" thick rips so you may want to try some blade wax such as the kind Lennox sells. Ware lots of protective clothing and safety glasses, the chips go everywhere.

Good luck! and post some pictures of the finished product. I've made a few planes over the years, but its been a long time....

Andrew,

traditionally these joints were a dovetail not a box joint and the dovetails were peened to lock them solid.The dovetails were hand cut or cut on a milling machine using a dovetail cutter.
I`d like to suggest you do more research on some of the woodworking forums as making an infill plane is a rather involved project and things can go badly wrong rather quickly and you end up with either an unuseable plane or one that is such a pain to use it sits on a shelf.
You can see details of the joints at sites such as Carl Holtey`s,Wayne Anderson`s,or the Saur and Stiener sites among others.

Best of luck

Here is the plane that I was going to make http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/079/extras/brass-body-block-plane/ I have seen the ones with dovetailed sides and all but I thought this one might be a little easier for a first.

I am completely open to any suggestions. You can tell me whatever you want or call me whatever you want......just don't call me late for dinner :P .