I Forge Iron

hardwood charcoal question

Persanally i wouldnt use charcoal because of the sparks, expense and size. I use coke.

go to your profile and enter your location. Because there might be a blacksmith from here right around the corner who can tell you where he gets his coal.

sorry for not answering your question.....I just thought this at least would be helpful

alec B):o:lol::unsure:<_<:mellow: :rolleyes:

I use the Cowboy Brand all the time. Its cheap and its available at the hardware store. Solved a lot of the flea problem by opening up the grate at the bottom of the forge. Couple of big 1/2 inch holes rather than the little 1/4 inch ones it was built with.

Like everyone else say's the "Cowboy Charcoal" will work fine. At some places you can find bigger bags of hardwood lump as it is starting to become more popular for outdoor grilling. I have gone to GFS food service and gotten bags almost twice the size. As a note I was using a bag of "Cowboy" and was putting it into my forge and saw a couple of pieces that didn't look right. I picked them out and they were what I call that plastic wood they use for decking :huh: . I reckon it got mixed up with the rest of the scrap lumber they use but it was charred just the same only the ends were melted. You might want to also investigate making your own. I have plans on doing that because of the access I have to hardwood pallets.

I've used it. It works fine. It does throw more "forge fleas" than some other brands, and less than some. If you're used to coal or coke there are some differences, if you're use to real charcoal you won't have any problems. If you're just starting you can learn fine on it then if you change to coal or coke sometime later you'll have to learn fire management all over again.

ron

I've used it. It works fine. It does throw more "forge fleas" than some other brands, and less than some. If you're used to coal or coke there are some differences, if you're use to real charcoal you won't have any problems. If you're just starting you can learn fine on it then if you change to coal or coke sometime later you'll have to learn fire management all over again.

ron

I've noticed Cowboy doesn't throw as many forge fleas as Royal Oak, but nothing beats home-made charcoal. ;)

Also, I've heard Charcoal has the exact same BTU's as coal per POUND. So, yeah, it will take more charcoal.

Since charcoal was the only fuel used until coal started being used for forging in the high middle ages (and coal/coke only started being used for smelting iron in the 1700's!) You can do pretty much everything with charcoal. Traditionally made japanese swords are still forged and forge welded (and smelted) using charcoal.

I've forged a bit with Coal, Corn, and Charcoal (both Cowboy brand and homemade). Cowboy, as mentioned, does throw more sparks than homemade. I used one bag and forged for 4.5 hours, so it cost about $1.50 per hour. Depending on the cost of obtaining other fuels and the frequency of forging that is pretty reasonable when compared to what you would spend per hour on other hobbies.

Mark

Mesquite is particularly bad as it is a resinous wood and tends not to be fully charred as folks cooking *want* the mesquite smoke flavor---which they wouldn't get if it was fully charred.

I picked up two 55 gallon drums last night to store charcoal in----I'm going to do a smelt this year for sure! (previous use edible oil storage---*always* be wary of what *might* have been in a Barrel!)

• 3 weeks later...

I just put a bag of Mesquite in today and it was terrible. I had been using home made as I have a fire pit and just quench the coals directly but ran out and a friend had brought over a large 20 lb bag of Mesquite so i used it and it threw fleas every time I raked some new coal in.
To the OP I also used a bag of cowboy just to see how it compared to my home made and there was no difference to me.

Now, if you're going to use charcoal, you might want to consider getting rid of your bottom blast fire box. Since charcoal doesn't need to be "coked" the box isn't needed, using it will result in you using far more charcoal then you need. A simple grate in the middle of a steel plate will work very well. You just let the ash build up a bit and you'll have a fine forge. Clinker is also less of a problem, so no need for a clinker breaker.
This is what Dale Morse of Clayhill Forge has at his school in Waynesboro, Virginia. Alas, I have no photos.

This is my brand of whiskey, drink what you find taste best to you.

Doesn't the fire need to be deeper than a coal fire? I have found that forge welding is much more difficult in a shallow charcoal fire. It seems to require another couple of inches of depth to weld the same way with charcoal. Maybe it's just my technique, but the coal seems to work fine in the standard depth firepots. Making a forge without a firepot seems like going backwards. Sometimes I prop a couple of firebricks up when I am using charcoal. This seems to make sense given the density differences of the two fuels.

• 1 month later...